Author Topic: graphical time range tool  (Read 3491 times)

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
graphical time range tool
« on: April 29, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
I think it would be nice if PM+ had a GUI element to set time delimiters. It is good to be able to do it in the search box, but a separate, additional time gizmo would appeal to me.

Usually, they're a picklist of common choices, like "Today", "This week", "This month", and some sort of fields where you can enter dates or use date pickers for "Before", "After", or "Between".

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Re: graphical time range tool
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »
... now that I have some grasp on what the filter tool is, I see that a time tool could go there. I would think in addition to the present drill-down twiddles. (Which, while not quite a graphical timeline, do pretty much the same thing. And while, I can't say I have used a timeline feature a lot, I do sometimes use the one in DigiKam.)

The standing queries (which I have used tens of thousands of times) could simply reside above the drill-down section, and a before/after/between date range picker could pop out of the find box somehow. I'm thinking here that many searchers will want to simply type in a date, especially if they're looking for a specific day. If I'm looking for a range, I'm more comfortable with pickers. (I get all nervous about whether the 31st is valid and whatnot.)

Here are a couple of screen shots. Chosen by what was closest at hand, not because these UI elements are my absolutes faves. (Although they work just fine)

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 12:30:04 PM »
Oh, and, of course, many/most searches that are looking for "x in the last y time" don't actually need a date tool, as long as the sort order for the returns is newest on top.

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I have now spent a fair bit of time playing with the time filter and I have to say it's growing on me. I especially like how I can do a date range with the normal modifier keys, without having to tweedle about with two date pickers, which can really be a pain sometimes if the date range is wide.

I do still think "In the last [whatver] buttons and a way to jump directly to a filter for certain date are needed.

-Carl