Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

graphical time range tool

(1/1)

carlseibert:
I think it would be nice if PM+ had a GUI element to set time delimiters. It is good to be able to do it in the search box, but a separate, additional time gizmo would appeal to me.

Usually, they're a picklist of common choices, like "Today", "This week", "This month", and some sort of fields where you can enter dates or use date pickers for "Before", "After", or "Between".

carlseibert:
... now that I have some grasp on what the filter tool is, I see that a time tool could go there. I would think in addition to the present drill-down twiddles. (Which, while not quite a graphical timeline, do pretty much the same thing. And while, I can't say I have used a timeline feature a lot, I do sometimes use the one in DigiKam.)

The standing queries (which I have used tens of thousands of times) could simply reside above the drill-down section, and a before/after/between date range picker could pop out of the find box somehow. I'm thinking here that many searchers will want to simply type in a date, especially if they're looking for a specific day. If I'm looking for a range, I'm more comfortable with pickers. (I get all nervous about whether the 31st is valid and whatnot.)

Here are a couple of screen shots. Chosen by what was closest at hand, not because these UI elements are my absolutes faves. (Although they work just fine)

carlseibert:
Oh, and, of course, many/most searches that are looking for "x in the last y time" don't actually need a date tool, as long as the sort order for the returns is newest on top.

carlseibert:
Hi Kirk,

I have now spent a fair bit of time playing with the time filter and I have to say it's growing on me. I especially like how I can do a date range with the normal modifier keys, without having to tweedle about with two date pickers, which can really be a pain sometimes if the date range is wide.

I do still think "In the last [whatver] buttons and a way to jump directly to a filter for certain date are needed.

-Carl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version