Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

Data compression

(1/2) > >>

Luiz Muzzi:
Hi,
I have noticed that with approximately 64.000 files (corresponding to 32.000 photos, raw+jpeg), the catalogue has occupied around 22 gigabytes of hard disk. I would like to suggest creating a compression tool to reduce the size of the catalogue without loss of performance in the queries (filters).
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Kirk Baker:
Luiz,

--- Quote from: Luiz Muzzi on May 01, 2019, 01:21:12 PM ---I have noticed that with approximately 64.000 files (corresponding to 32.000 photos, raw+jpeg), the catalogue has occupied around 22 gigabytes of hard disk. I would like to suggest creating a compression tool to reduce the size of the catalogue without loss of performance in the queries (filters).

--- End quote ---

We're planning on letting you choose both the JPEG quality and size of the previews.  So if you don't mind having a 30 quality and 800px preview, you'll save space.

-Kirk

Luiz Muzzi:
Hi, Kirk
Thanks for your quick reply.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Hayo Baan:
Luiz,

Another space saver: if your catalog and its files are local, don't generate the previews at all. In case of local files, the preview is completely unnecessary :)

Luiz Muzzi:

--- Quote from: Hayo Baan on May 02, 2019, 03:35:48 AM ---Luiz,

Another space saver: if your catalog and its files are local, don't generate the previews at all. In case of local files, the preview is completely unnecessary :)

--- End quote ---

Hi, Hayo
My catalog is local, but my files are in an external HD. However, I will only open PM+ when the external drive is connected. Do you think I need to generate the previews? If not, what can I do to eliminate them if catalog has already generated previews?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version