Author Topic: Might be an Apple problem, but....  (Read 2997 times)

Offline melias99

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Might be an Apple problem, but....
« on: May 01, 2019, 04:11:09 AM »
For the past three months, every time I have inserted the XQD card into a reader, it fails to launch Photo Mechanic as desired. Instead, I have to go to image capture and make sure that upon insertion, it will cause PM to launch the ingest dialog. All preferences are properly set, to open ingest when the card is inserted, but still no joy. I have to re-validate the card each time.

As an added bonus, the PM contact sheet did not open automatically, as specified.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Might be an Apple problem, but....
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 05:55:29 AM »
PM5: Have you set up Mac OS to launch PhotoMechanic once a card is installed? Insert an XQD card, open the Image Capture application and in the lower left bottom of the Image Capture Window, click the little triangle to show some more options and then select the appropriate application to open. See attached screenshots (note: I have it set to “No application” since I use PM6, see below).

PM6: With PM6, Camerabits have developed an application to launch PM6 and start the Ingest. You can find the application in the PM archive under Extras/PM Disk Launcher. Follow the instructions in the readme and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps,
Hayo

P.S. currently there is a known problem with PM6 in that it doesn't show the contact sheet for the ingest unless PM6 was already open.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 06:17:14 AM »
Hi,
Also, double-clicking on a photo file like jpg or raw won't open the file in PM6, unless PM6 (and its window) is already opened.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:34:42 AM »
Please try this build and let me know if it solves this problem: https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanic6R3065.dmg

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 06:20:51 AM »
Please try this build and let me know if it solves this problem: https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanic6R3065.dmg

Thanks,

-Kirk

Hi, Kirk.
I have installed the 3065 version but I think that the problem occurs because PM+ overrides it. And there is a strange allusion to "Preview" in finder, although I have changed it all to open with PM6 not with PM+.
Please see screenshot attached.
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 06:29:16 AM »
Luiz,

You must have accidentally (?) set PM+ to open the images; Preview is still your default application so you have manually altered that for some of your images. It already surprised me that upon double click it would open PM6 since it has never done so for me (it would open Preview or e.g. Photoshop instead).

Just change the open with application in the file info panel to what you want (not PM+).

P.S. PM6 3065 does now open the contact sheet for me so the problem seems to be solved :)

Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
Luiz,

You must have accidentally (?) set PM+ to open the images; Preview is still your default application so you have manually altered that for some of your images. It already surprised me that upon double click it would open PM6 since it has never done so for me (it would open Preview or e.g. Photoshop instead).

Just change the open with application in the file info panel to what you want (not PM+).

P.S. PM6 3065 does now open the contact sheet for me so the problem seems to be solved :)

As I told you, I have set (several times) PM6 to open the images, but PM+ overrides it and opens (but does not show a window or the pictures themselves). On the other hand, it appears Preview as the default app, nonetheless...
Regards,
- Luiz Muzzi

Offline wgservice

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
my inbuilt reader on laptop does same as you describe. however if i use a usb external card reader, it works perfectly. Never was able to solve it.....