Author Topic: iPhone .mov files randomly rotating after adding info in PM 6.  (Read 1420 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
I just installed the PM 6 upgrade and was pleased to see that those .mov "Live" iPhone files can now be viewed and played. Unfortunately, with my first look two of these have somehow rotated. One is upside down and the other is sideway (two others are fine).

I assume this was caused by PM because they are correct when viewed from the phone using Image Capture. When I open the Preview window they are correct, but I just tried to upload one to Facebook and it is upside down!

All I did was add metadata and changed the file names using PM 6. Any idea what I should do??

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iPhone .mov files randomly rotating after adding info in PM 6.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 07:23:56 PM »
Photo Mechanic does not modify video files.  If you make metadata changes, PM writes to an XMP sidecar file.

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Re: iPhone .mov files randomly rotating after adding info in PM 6.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »
Kurt, thanks for the info. Any idea why some thumbnails are randomly rotated? Here is a screenshot showing two rotated .mov files (several others from the same day were not incorrectly rotated). Yet when the video is shown in the Preview window it is properly rotated. Maybe it has to do with the orientation of the phone?

I don't believe it is possible to rotate the preview in PM. Is there any way that PM could be given the ability to rotate the preview in future updates?