Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

Quick-Search Snapshots?

(1/2) > >>

bazography:
I was wondering if Camera Bits has considered adding their “Snapshot” feature to searches. I could see having a Snapshot button next to the quick-search field, with their usual pop-up dialog for setting it up, adding variables etc.

In my newspaper days I used Photo Mechanic for most things but cataloged with Extensis Portfolio. The one (only!) thing I liked about Portfolio was the search function. I could customize and save as many searches as I wanted using virtually unlimited search criteria, and I could set a default for quick searches. My default was always set to Keyword – Contains – _________  & Date within the past year, so most of the time all I had to do was start typing. If I wanted a different saved search or if I wanted to start from scratch it was 1 click away in a drop-down list.

I found it all quite indispensable, especially given the size of a newspaper catalog. My catalogs aren't quite that big any more, but saved custom searches would still be extremely valuable.

Marv:
I agree -- this would be a nice feature to have. 

Marv

carlseibert:
Snapshots for the win! 

Generally, Photo Mechanic has them wherever they're needed. So, I'm assuming that after the basic functional stuff is all under control, the snapshot fairy will fly over and drop them in where they will be useful. This being one such place.

bazography:

--- Quote from: carlseibert on May 09, 2019, 03:02:49 PM ---Snapshots for the win! 

Generally, Photo Mechanic has them wherever they're needed. So, I'm assuming that after the basic functional stuff is all under control, the snapshot fairy will fly over and drop them in where they will be useful. This being one such place.

--- End quote ---

That sure would be nice, but I haven't seen snapshots mentioned of their to-do list yet. Personally I think snapshots are the greatest thing since sliced bread... and we all know how handy sliced bread is.
I know that they are working on the Searchable Fields pop-up, and they plan to have all those check-boxes selectable. And I can see from the sample searches that we are able to do some fairly complicated searches. Having that ability is great, but the problem I see is the speed of ticking all those little boxes and typing out your search each time, when quite often you are doing the same (or similar) searches every time.

syncrasy:
Question for you snapshot advocates: What would be the difference between a Quick-Search Snapshot and a Smart Collection? Would they meet the same need (frequently used searches)? Or are the use cases very different?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version