Author Topic: PM5 and macOS Mojave beachball/lag  (Read 4576 times)

Offline imagetic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • willduncan.com
PM5 and macOS Mojave beachball/lag
« on: May 07, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
I used the release PM6 as my excuse to upgrade to Mojave. Sadly that's having some issues at the moment so I rolled back to PM5. So far that workaround has been less than ideal.

Overall, everything works.  But I'm running into a huge lag (beachball 5-10 seconds) every time I come back to PM or try to do something in a new tab, and then the window will jump around as if I did a click and drag, so I'm losing close to 15-30 seconds each time I come back to the window.  If I stay focused in the application things appear to run fine for the most part. It's not the end of the world, but it's adding up to a lot of time. Enough to where I'm debating doing a snapshot and rolling back to High Sierra.

I spent a pretty good amount of time searching the forum / google, but I didn't find a fix or a post with possible workarounds. I know a few other photographers with the same issue with PM5 on Mojave. It works, but it's a lot slower than on High Sierra for all of us.  I had no issues until I upgraded to Mojave. It's a fresh install on a clean OS.

Is this a known thing? Is there a workaround with some setting I can tweak? I figured the PM team is busy fixing bugs in 6, so I would ask the community for advice.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Thanks.
www.willduncan.com

Model: iMac (18,3 - Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor: 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 64GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM5 and macOS Mojave beachball/lag
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »
Hmm,

Never had problems with PM5 and Mojave and my laptop is quite old already. What type of folders are you visiting, how many files and of what kind?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline imagetic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • willduncan.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:48:59 PM »
NEF files from a d850, from from 20-1500 frames in a folder.

When I open a PM5 fresh, the first folder from my favorites beachballs for about 5-7 seconds. 5-15 seconds for returning to PM focus with a folder of 422 images. I see the same thing with NEF files from a Nikon Z6.  Slightly lower lag on CR2 files from a 5d mkIII, but the same lag when I return to the app/window focus. If I'm doing an ingest of a lot of files, that lag is multiplied many times.

Everything ran 100% smooth on High Sierra.
www.willduncan.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »
NEF files from a d850, from from 20-1500 frames in a folder.

When I open a PM5 fresh, the first folder from my favorites beachballs for about 5-7 seconds. 5-15 seconds for returning to PM focus with a folder of 422 images. I see the same thing with NEF files from a Nikon Z6.  Slightly lower lag on CR2 files from a 5d mkIII, but the same lag when I return to the app/window focus. If I'm doing an ingest of a lot of files, that lag is multiplied many times.

Everything ran 100% smooth on High Sierra.

If you open up the Activity Monitor and check Memory usage, is there any paging going on?  If portions of PM5 are getting swapped out, then resuming will be slow.

Also, how many files were changed when you switched out of PM?  What sort method are you using for your contact sheet(s)?

-Kirk

Offline imagetic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • willduncan.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:49:55 PM »
In activity monitor I actually get a PM not responding process change after about a 8-10 seconds of beachball, then when the app regains focus and the lag stops it goes back to normal.  The lag appears to be getting longer as I actually sit down and try to diagnose it. 

Activity monitor shows PM5 using 413mb, even when lagging, CPU usage jumps to around 5-6% from .02.  I don't actually know how to determine if something is paging, I think that is when it's swapping out memory cause it's run out? I haven't heard that term in many years though.

Phyiscal Memory: 64gb
Memory Used: 13.15GB
Cached Files: 11.66GB
Swap used: 0kb

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61g4lgco8a6t74q/Screenshot%202019-05-07%2013.42.26.png?dl=0

A screenshot from when I put the window back in focus.

I sort by filename by default.

I am currently in a folder with 6 files, two have a color tag and one has a crop. No changes since my last switch out of the app, I just opened the folder. I do have tabs open. I get the same lag when switching tabs for the first time.  Once i'm in focus for awhile and moved around, it's less common, appears to be only new folder openings.
www.willduncan.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »
In activity monitor I actually get a PM not responding process change after about a 8-10 seconds of beachball, then when the app regains focus and the lag stops it goes back to normal.  The lag appears to be getting longer as I actually sit down and try to diagnose it. 

Activity monitor shows PM5 using 413mb, even when lagging, CPU usage jumps to around 5-6% from .02.  I don't actually know how to determine if something is paging, I think that is when it's swapping out memory cause it's run out? I haven't heard that term in many years though.

Phyiscal Memory: 64gb
Memory Used: 13.15GB
Cached Files: 11.66GB
Swap used: 0kb

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61g4lgco8a6t74q/Screenshot%202019-05-07%2013.42.26.png?dl=0

A screenshot from when I put the window back in focus.

I sort by filename by default.

I am currently in a folder with 6 files, two have a color tag and one has a crop. No changes since my last switch out of the app, I just opened the folder. I do have tabs open. I get the same lag when switching tabs for the first time.  Once i'm in focus for awhile and moved around, it's less common, appears to be only new folder openings.

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2800 option 2

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline imagetic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • willduncan.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »
Thanks Kirk.  I will send the email.
www.willduncan.com

Offline imagetic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • willduncan.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »
After a lot of troubleshooting, I determined the cause is SMB3 protocol on my 10GbE NAS volume. I'm not sure why as of yet. I thought they had fixed SMB3 issues in macOS by now. I've been running it for over a year without any issues prior to upgrading to Mojave, but it's possible that I had packet signing in nsmb.comf set to off with my old 10GbE setup and I just forgot about it.

It goes away completely when I switch to AFP.
www.willduncan.com