Author Topic: Changing from Nikon to Sony  (Read 2232 times)

Offline AYA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Changing from Nikon to Sony
« on: May 07, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
Hi PM team,
I've been using Photo mechanic 5 for years and trully love your product but after switching from Nikon to Sony last year, I've had 2 issues that are affecting my workflow with my Sony a7r3 and Capture One and I'd appreciate your help.

First, to my understanding, Sony RAWs will only create a preview of 25% but it is too low to review sharpness of files. Is there anyway to create a 100% or even 50% preview automatically? Right now I have to go in Capture One first and export low Res Jpeg to then create a JPEG+ RAW preview in Photo mechanic. A faster workaround would be great!

Secondly, When I rate the JPEG+RAW files in PM, the number rating seems to only be applied to the JPEG. When opening the folder in Capture one after culling my files, the RAWs don't have a rating applied as the JPEGs do and so far I've gone back and applied it manually but that wont work on the long term. Could you tell me what I'm missing? is it a setting in C1 or PM? I've attached a printscreen of the C1 preferences window. BTW, I read your support documentation and it's pretty techy, so please explain it very step by step please.

Thanks!!

J

Offline AYA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Changing from Nikon to Sony
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:25:33 AM »
BTW, I'm running Photo mechanic5 build 19749 on a Intel desktop with Windows 10 os 17763.475

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Changing from Nikon to Sony
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:54:32 AM »
BTW, I'm running Photo mechanic5 build 19749 on a Intel desktop with Windows 10 os 17763.475

Perhaps you need to set the "Auto Sync sidecar XMP" to one of the values in the popup menu?

I can't tell you what settings to use in C1, but if you make one of your ARW/JPEG/XMP set of files available for me to look at, I'll be able to tell you if the RAW file is tagged with a rating.

As for the low-resolution preview in ARW files, complain to Sony.  If enough of their users request a high resolution preview in the ARW files then perhaps they'll make it happen.

Converting ARW to DNG will also solve the problem, but it takes time just like your C1 method of exporting a JPEG.  The Adobe DNG Converter (which is free from adobe.com) can batch convert an entire folder of ARW images to DNG.  You can set it to produce a full resolution preview.

-Kirk