Author Topic: how to quickly sort photos into subfolders by motorcycle rider  (Read 7645 times)

Offline penguin1300

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
All,

This past Sunday, I shot my first motorcycle track day.  I took roughly 1,100 photos of approximately 25 bikes.  The single biggest complaint about my galleries is that I did not sort the riders into their own sub-gallery ( I sorted by cc displacement).  Even though I ultimately only provided 300 photos in my galleries, most said it was impossible to find themselves in the popular class. 

I went and looked at my competition and they do make a sub-gallery -- one for each rider.  They had about wayyyyy more total pictures then I did.  The entire "event" photography is new to me and the part that totally whooped my ass was having to cull, pp, and upload all those shots in a single night.  Adding a sort to that workflow seems pretty overwhelming to me right now.

What is a good way for me to quickly sort photos by bike number?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: how to quickly sort photos into subfolders by motorcycle rider
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:28:36 PM »
All,

This past Sunday, I shot my first motorcycle track day.  I took roughly 1,100 photos of approximately 25 bikes.  The single biggest complaint about my galleries is that I did not sort the riders into their own sub-gallery ( I sorted by cc displacement).  Even though I ultimately only provided 300 photos in my galleries, most said it was impossible to find themselves in the popular class. 

I went and looked at my competition and they do make a sub-gallery -- one for each rider.  They had about wayyyyy more total pictures then I did.  The entire "event" photography is new to me and the part that totally whooped my ass was having to cull, pp, and upload all those shots in a single night.  Adding a sort to that workflow seems pretty overwhelming to me right now.

What is a good way for me to quickly sort photos by bike number?

I would suggest opening up the IPTC Info dialog for the very first photo in your contact sheet, and then look at the thumbnail to see the bike number.  You can zoom up the thumbnail by clicking on it, but a faster way is to use the zoom shortcut (Ctrl-Z on Mac, Alt-Z on Windows) key that while you hold it down you get a larger image.  Identify the bike number.  Enter that number into the Object Name field (for instance, though you could choose something else if you'd like).  Then click on the Save & -> button (hover over it with your mouse cursor to see the keyboard shortcut and use the keyboard shortcut next time).  Keep identifying and advancing through all of the pictures.  Once you have done them all, you can change the Sort popup menu to custom, and then enter {object} in the Primary sort and {timesort} as the Secondary sort.  Now all of your pictures will be sorted by bike number and then sorted by their capture time.

It should be fairly easy then to make a single web gallery per bike.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 08:13:01 PM »
Once I have done this, is there any way for PM to move the images into separate folders by category?  For example, if I had 5 riders in a race and have coded the IPTC data for each photo with rider number (101,102,103,104, and 105), can I have PM copy/move files from the main folder into folders named 101, 102, 103, 104, and 105 based on the IPTC values?

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
Mike,

Once I have done this, is there any way for PM to move the images into separate folders by category?  For example, if I had 5 riders in a race and have coded the IPTC data for each photo with rider number (101,102,103,104, and 105), can I have PM copy/move files from the main folder into folders named 101, 102, 103, 104, and 105 based on the IPTC values?

You could do this with a Folder-based Ingest, using your IPTC field that has the number in it as part of your folder naming.  But that would just be a copy, instead of a move since Ingest doesn't have a move option.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:16:38 AM »
Copy instead of Move would work for me.

So to make sure I understand what you are saying, I would first ingest the images from the chip into a common folder where I would go through, assign rider number to the image, cull, rotate, etc. then do a second ingest from that common folder and output to a folder based on the selected IPTC field.

I will try it.  Sounds like it should work.

You know, if you put a corkscrew, toothpick, and saw into PM, you could just call it Swiss Army Knife Mechanic.   ;)

-Mike