Photo Mechanic Plus > Feature Requests

Sorting (comprehensive discussion, with examples)

(1/2) > >>

syncrasy:
I know sorting has been mentioned elsewhere for specific instances, e.g., for search results or subsorting, but I thought it worthwhile to create a general sorting topic, with examples. I've divided the topic into two categories: general sorting and manual sorting.

General sorting by field/attribute
Sorting is essential for a DAM/catalog, whether within search results or while browsing a catalog folder or contact sheet. For reference/ideas, attached is the Sort menu for Media Pro. I believe the default order is based on time added to the catalog (oldest first). Also attached is a partial shot of Media Pro's List View options. These are used for sorting by clicking a column in List View (also shown below) and include many more fields and attributes than the regular Sort menu (media info, EXIF data, etc.). Media Pro permits 10 columns max. I understand List View is not on the current road map for PM+, but I attach both screenshots here to show how Media Pro handles sorting.

Manual sorting
And, in case no one has mentioned this, it's important to also allow manual sorting, i.e., by dragging/rearranging thumbnails, in any view (including query results). In addition, where technically possible, the app should give users the option (e.g., in Preferences) to remember manual sort orders each time the app is opened (e.g., at least for folders and Collections, but not queries). Edited for accuracy/clarity.

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: syncrasy on May 22, 2019, 01:39:20 PM ---Manual sorting
And, in case no one has mentioned this, it's extremely important to also allow manual sorting, i.e., by dragging/rearranging thumbnails, and for the app to remember that manually-sorted order each time the app is opened. For me this is especially important for Collections, but the concept could apply generally.

--- End quote ---

I can see saving a manual arrangement for a Collection, but not for a filter or a search query.

-Kirk

syncrasy:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on May 22, 2019, 02:08:24 PM ---
And, in case no one has mentioned this, it's extremely important to also allow manual sorting, i.e., by dragging/rearranging thumbnails, and for the app to remember that manually-sorted order each time the app is opened. For me this is especially important for Collections, but the concept could apply generally.

--- End quote ---

I can see saving a manual arrangement for a Collection, but not for a filter or a search query.

--- End quote ---

In Media Pro I have used manual sorting in any number of situations (e.g., while browsing a folder or search results), so I would miss the capability. But for Collections, which by definition are manually curated groups of images, it's a necessity (e.g., to create and remember a Web gallery order).

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: syncrasy on May 22, 2019, 02:20:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on May 22, 2019, 02:08:24 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

PM does have the capability to arrange a folder (it stores a file in the folder that it can later use to restore), so that's good.
But on a query or a filter?  Where would the user expect to be able to restore it?  If they don't make the exact same query then how would they get their arrangement back?

Collections and folders make sense to me, but on a query or a filter, unless they're 'saved' to some place that a double-click would reopen, arrangements sound potentially confusing.

-Kirk

syncrasy:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on May 22, 2019, 02:44:39 PM ---
PM does have the capability to arrange a folder (it stores a file in the folder that it can later use to restore), so that's good.
But on a query or a filter?  Where would the user expect to be able to restore it?  If they don't make the exact same query then how would they get their arrangement back?

Collections and folders make sense to me, but on a query or a filter, unless they're 'saved' to some place that a double-click would reopen, arrangements sound potentially confusing.

--- End quote ---

You're right about sorted queries not saving. I should have been more specific. Media Pro allows manual sorting generally (including query results), but has the ability to remember manual sorts only for Catalog folders and Catalog fields (includes Collections), but not queries.

I should add that remembering manual sorting in Media Pro is an option in Preferences.

I've fixed my original post to be clearer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version