Author Topic: Apple Aperture replacement  (Read 3259 times)

Offline esambo

• View Profile
Apple Aperture replacement
« on: May 27, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »
I am still on the search for a Apple Aperture.app replacement. The biggest problem I have with Aperture, and why I started looking, is the lack of HEIF/HEIC (Apple Live Photo) support, because seeing a black thumbnail/preview images in the app is extremely annoying.

So far, it looks like Photo Mechanic Plus might be the best alternative/replacement to Aperture, as it:
- has advanced search/filter with AND, OR, NOT (Photo Supreme has some good support, but it's cryptic to use)
- is fast (GraphicConverter 10 is just too slow)
- has rating (I still have a hard time understanding why Apple took that away from Photos.app, rather than adding it to the iOS photos app)
- Smart Albums (I assume this will be implemented in a future Beta version of PM+)
- etc.

But there are still some major missing functionalities:
1. HEIC/HEIF file support (problems with: Lightroom, Phase One, ON1) (supported, even with rating, in: ApolloOne)
2. Keyboard shortcut customization
  - A lot of Photo Mechanic functionality is not discoverable through the menu, and can therefore not be searched for with the awesome macOS Menu: Help: Search functionality, and is only documented in the online wiki (which is nice, but not integrated into the app itself and therefore not very convenient)!
  - Full Mode (toggled) doesn't include toggling of the Toolbar which doesn't have a shortcut for toggling itself
  - it would be nice being able to define/overwrite Photo Mechanic keyboard shortcuts (see: Capture One, Apple Aperture and its Command Editor, FastRawViewer, JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA)

Offline jose

• View Profile
Re: Apple Aperture replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
You have another problem, Aperture wil not run in future versions of macOS after macOS Mojave:

https://support.apple.com/aperture

BTW, excellent Aperture in this time!

jose.