Author Topic: Metadata Template  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Nessa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata Template
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »
Windows 7, current build as of Halloween, 2019

Hi,
I can see how to apply the Metadata(IPTC)Template to photos, but is there a way to reverse that?

In others words, is there a way to apply the metadata from a photo to the template?

Related to that: when I "Save" the info from a photo with "Save..." or by clicking on the lightning bolt, where is the best place to save it?

Thank you,
:-)
Vanessa

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata Template
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 08:00:02 AM »
Vanessa,

Windows 7, current build as of Halloween, 2019

I can see how to apply the Metadata(IPTC)Template to photos, but is there a way to reverse that?

In others words, is there a way to apply the metadata from a photo to the template?

Yes.  Click on the 'i' button on the photo thumbnail to bring up the Metadata (IPTC) Info window.  Then look at the bottom row of buttons.  One is labeled "Apply Metadata Template".  Do not press it yet.  Hold down the "Modifier Key" (on Windows it is the Shift key, on macOS it is the Option key) and you'll see that the button label will change to "Copy to Template".  Keep the key down and click on the button while it says "Copy to Template" and the current image info will be copied to the Metadata (IPTC) Template.

Related to that: when I "Save" the info from a photo with "Save..." or by clicking on the lightning bolt, where is the best place to save it?

The snapshots (lightning bolt) go to a specific place in the Preferences folder that you cannot control.  As for where you save templates as XMP files, that's up to you.  How about a "Photo Mechanic" folder inside your "Documents" folder?

HTH,

-Kirk