Author Topic: GPS Map Browser not DPI-aware  (Read 3010 times)

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
GPS Map Browser not DPI-aware
« on: April 25, 2020, 07:19:31 PM »
Windows 10 PMP build 4617

My laptop has a 4K screen and my second monitor is HD and when I drag the GPS Map Browser window to the HD screen it does not resize accordingly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS Map Browser not DPI-aware
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »
Windows 10 PMP build 4617

My laptop has a 4K screen and my second monitor is HD and when I drag the GPS Map Browser window to the HD screen it does not resize accordingly.

Hmm.  What does it do?  Is it too large?  Too small?

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 01:20:04 AM »
When going from 4K screen to HD it is too large so not scaling at all.  If PMP is open on the HD screen then it is too small when moving to 4K.

This is the same with PM standard.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »
Hello Keith,

I looked into the issue.  We're using MFC which isn't inherently DPI-aware.  Microsoft has put the burden of supporting multiple DPI environments squarely on the developer.  If we were using newer Microsoft frameworks, DPI-awareness is automatic.  PM6 and Photo Mechanic Plus (v6) will likely be the last apps that we'll use MFC on.  We're planning to switch to a cross-platform user interface framework for version 7.

It's just not feasible to add dynamic DPI changes in version 6.  It would be a tremendous amount of work that we would essentially throw away when we develop version 7.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 06:55:46 PM »
Hello Keith,

I looked into the issue.  We're using MFC which isn't inherently DPI-aware.  Microsoft has put the burden of supporting multiple DPI environments squarely on the developer.  If we were using newer Microsoft frameworks, DPI-awareness is automatic.  PM6 and Photo Mechanic Plus (v6) will likely be the last apps that we'll use MFC on.  We're planning to switch to a cross-platform user interface framework for version 7.

It's just not feasible to add dynamic DPI changes in version 6.  It would be a tremendous amount of work that we would essentially throw away when we develop version 7.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I fully understand.  I can live with these issues until the new version.

Many thanks
Keith