Photo Mechanic > Support

Just starting out - IPTC , NEF question

(1/6) > >>

davidkl:
I am using a pc (not Mac) with NEF files. If I understand p.10 of the Quickstart guide correctly,  I can not  apply IPTC info to the files. I did try to but wasn't sucessful. Is my understanding correct?  How does a PC user with NEF files get the IPTC info into the file?

Thanks.
David

Kirk Baker:
David,

--- Quote from: davidkl on April 10, 2007, 02:48:01 PM ---I am using a pc (not Mac) with NEF files. If I understand p.10 of the Quickstart guide correctly,  I can not  apply IPTC info to the files. I did try to but wasn't sucessful. Is my understanding correct?  How does a PC user with NEF files get the IPTC info into the file?
--- End quote ---

Version 4.4 and higher can embed IPTC and XMP into most RAW formats, including NEFs.  What version are you using?

-Kirk

davidkl:
Hi Kirk,
I downloaded the  trial version today from your main page (i'm not at that computer right now).

davidkl:
just checked v 4.5

RobertE:
Hi David,

Photo Mechanic offers many ways to caption your files including RAW images. PM can caption NEF files. That Quickstart Guide in the Programs folder is well out of date. Download and have a read of the manual:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=409.0

and/or the press release for PM4.4:

http://www.camerabits.com/pages/PM4.4Release.html

It's important to note that Camera Bits uses its own proprietary system to caption undocumented RAW files including Nikon NEFs. Some apps such as Phase One Capture One don't like PM captions (a bug in Capture One, not PM). PM does offer you an unique "undo" (revert) option called Caption Safe so if trouble occurs downstream you can remove the captions. Furthermore PM gives you the option to write Adobe XMP sidecar files and not alter the RAW file. Even better is if an app does choke on PM captioned RAW files you can make XMP sidecar files then undo the embedded caption thereby not losing your valuable metadata.

-- Robert.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version