Author Topic: GPS syncing question  (Read 3301 times)

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
GPS syncing question
« on: October 03, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
Another question about GPS (apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but I couldn't find an explicit answer)...

I'm trying to figure out if PM/PM+ already does what Media Pro does with regard to GPS syncing.

Media Pro, because it doesn't sync metadata automatically, allows the user to prevent GPS data from being embedded in the image during manual syncing of IPTC data. (See attached screenshot of Export Annotations dialog.) In other words, an image's GPS data can be stored only in the catalog without touching the image file itself. Presumably PM's Apply Metadata to Photo function doesn't include GPS, so the tool that can embed GPS data into an image is Set GPS Coordinates. On that dialog, I notice a Sync GPS checkbox. What does that do? (And for that matter, what does Sync map do?) (I don't see an explanation for either option in the PM5 User Manual.) Would unchecking the Sync GPS box prevent embedding the GPS data in the image and just keep the data in the catalog?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:56:21 PM by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS syncing question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
Mark,

Another question about GPS (apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but I couldn't find an explicit answer)...

I'm trying to figure out if PM/PM+ already does what Media Pro does with regard to GPS syncing.

Media Pro, because it doesn't sync metadata automatically, allows the user to prevent GPS data from being embedded in the image during manual syncing of IPTC data. (See attached screenshot of Export Annotations dialog.) In other words, an image's GPS data can be stored only in the catalog without touching the image file itself. Presumably PM's Apply Metadata to Photo function doesn't include GPS, so the tool that can embed GPS data into an image is Set GPS Coordinates. On that dialog, I notice a Sync GPS checkbox. What does that do?

Sync GPS causes the coordinates in the image you're working with to be placed in the edit fields above the image.  When unchecked, as you move through the images, the coordinates in the edit fields above the image won't update.

(And for that matter, what does Sync map do?)

Sync map causes the map on the right to update as you move through the images.  If it is unset then the map won't update (it will keep its last position) as you move through the images.

Would unchecking the Sync GPS box prevent embedding the GPS data in the image and just keep the data in the catalog?

No.  We don't have a provision to have different metadata in the catalog vs. the images in regards to GPS data.  It is possible for them to be out of sync (meaning you've changed them without PM Plus' knowledge but it will update when it sees the difference.

-Kirk