Author Topic: Ask to select catalog on startup  (Read 3415 times)

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
Ask to select catalog on startup
« on: September 07, 2019, 07:20:54 PM »
Can we please have an option to ask for which catalog to open on startup.  Also provide a select list of previous catalogs and have an option to create a new one.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ask to select catalog on startup
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 09:30:30 PM »
Can we please have an option to ask for which catalog to open on startup.  Also provide a select list of previous catalogs and have an option to create a new one.

Why is the first part needed?  The last used Catalog(s) are already restored on startup.

As for the second part that's what the Catalog Management dialog is for.  You can access it from the Catalog->Manage Catalogs... command.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 04:19:25 AM »
I generally work with many projects which each have their own directory structure with their own catalog.  When I start PM+ I would like to facility to choose which catalog (project) to work on rather than open the last used and then have to go and chose a different one.  This option can be turned on/off with a preference setting.

Offline JCamborde

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 03:13:32 AM »
I organise my work just like KeithRJ, and so, I would like to have the possibility he evoked to choose one catalogue at the opening.
Some of my catalogs are heavy, so PM+ works for sometimes 20-30 seconds at the opening before I could use it*. (at this time it's a catalog of ±25000 D800 Raw images for exemple).
Yes, I'm reflecting to do differently, but if I could save an amount of reflexion + hours of work keeping near 20 years of habit and archives structure (with iView at the beginning!), I would be very very pleased!!
*iMac 27" mid-2011 with Mac OS 10.13 and 16Go Ram