Author Topic: “Show shadows detail” control seems does not work  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Andy21

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
“Show shadows detail” control seems does not work
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 6, built 4538 (51e5663) on MacOS 10.15.4, the functionality “Show shadows detail” seems does not work. I tried with several photos with a lot of areas in evident shadows.  How can I solve that problem?
Thank you
Andrea
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:53:00 AM by Andy21 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: “Show shadows detail” control seems does not work
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 03:22:25 PM »
Andrea,

I am running Photo Mechanic version 6, built 4538 (51e5663) on MacOS 10.15.4, the functionality “Show shadows detail” seems does not work. I tried with several photos with a lot of areas in evident shadows.  How can I solve that problem?

The feature shows pixels that are RGB 0, 0, 0, (pure black).  If your image has no pure black, then nothing will be highlighted.  Feel free to share an image and I will take a look at it, but it is quite possible to have a lot of shadow area in the scene and not have lost shadow detail.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample image.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Andy21

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 10:12:57 AM »
Hi Kirk,

thank you for your prompt answer and helpfulness.
Please find enclosed a photo. I confirm that with other software the shadows are highlighted.
Andrea

Offline mhobi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 11:31:09 AM »
Hi Andrea

I had a look at your picture and couldn't find any black pixels (RGB 000). To me it seems as PM is working correctly.
And that your other applications show shadow details also for pixels that are not completely black.

Regards, Michael

Offline Andy21

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 12:21:14 PM »
Hi Andrea

I had a look at your picture and couldn't find any black pixels (RGB 000). To me it seems as PM is working correctly.
And that your other applications show shadow details also for pixels that are not completely black.

Regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response following which:
a) I took a photo with the lens covered but still no shadows highlighted.
b) still having the trial version 6, built 4484 (5fe7e4b) on a laptop with macOS 10.11.6, I wanted to check with that version and in this case both the attached photo and the completely black one have the shadows highlighted in blue.
Kind regards
Andrea

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
 Andrea,

We're unable to reproduce the problem with your sample image on macOS Catalina on a MacBookPro.  For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59:10 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I actually can reproduce the issue on my machine (super wide gamut EIZO monitor). Opened in e.g. camera raw or preview, the image clearly has pure black pixels, but not when viewed in PM. I checked this by analysing the screen with the digital colour meter (in native values mode).
If you remember we discussed (rounding) issues with colour rendering in PM a while ago, I think this is a similar issue; depending on the combination of image and display, values are interpreted slightly differently, leading to small variations. Normally you won't see these (who is capable of noticing a difference of 1 in an RGB value?), but for the lost shadow detail this means a zero is suddenly no longer a zero.

I'm not sure how this can be solved though, you could perhaps choose to (also) highlight RGB values one above or below max/min, but I'm not sure that is even feasible.

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Andy21

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 05:17:59 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I actually can reproduce the issue on my machine (super wide gamut EIZO monitor). Opened in e.g. camera raw or preview, the image clearly has pure black pixels, but not when viewed in PM. I checked this by analysing the screen with the digital colour meter (in native values mode).
If you remember we discussed (rounding) issues with colour rendering in PM a while ago, I think this is a similar issue; depending on the combination of image and display, values are interpreted slightly differently, leading to small variations. Normally you won't see these (who is capable of noticing a difference of 1 in an RGB value?), but for the lost shadow detail this means a zero is suddenly no longer a zero.

I'm not sure how this can be solved though, you could perhaps choose to (also) highlight RGB values one above or below max/min, but I'm not sure that is even feasible.

Cheers,
Hayo

Hi Hayo,

thank you for your contribution to identify the matter. I just want to point out that the same photo with Photo Mechanic 6 version, built 4538 (51e5663) with macOS 10.11.6 instead of macOS 10.15.4 works properly.
Regards

Andrea

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 09:00:40 AM »
Andrea,

thank you for your contribution to identify the matter. I just want to point out that the same photo with Photo Mechanic 6 version, built 4538 (51e5663) with macOS 10.11.6 instead of macOS 10.15.4 works properly.

The only difference is the OS?  Or are these two different computers with different displays?  Apparently, this feature is sensitive to the quality of the display.  Hayo's system has a wide color gamut display and he can reproduce the problem.  Does your macOS 10.11.6 system have the same display as your system that has macOS 10.15.4 on it?

-Kirk

Offline Andy21

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »
Hi Kirk,

you are right!
I have macOS 10.11.6 on a MacPro 15" (middle 2009) and macOS 10.15.4 on a Mac mini (2018) with 2 display (Eizo CG247X and Monitor Apple Cinema HC 23" dated 2005).
I tried to open the preview in the Eizo Display (never done before) and the "Show shadow detail" works properly. So I confirm the problem is the display but that happen just with Photo Mechanic and not with other software.
Thank you
Andrea
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:56:33 AM by Andy21 »