Author Topic: Database problems  (Read 2296 times)

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
Database problems
« on: August 27, 2020, 12:25:59 AM »
I have been working extensively with photos via the Browse and normal folder-based contact sheets.

I have been developing photos in DxO PhotoLab and then scanning the output folder for the developed photos back into the catalog then applying keyword paths.  I then also copied photos to the folder-based contact sheet from the Browse tab.  The folder-based contact sheet had been catalogued.

I then tried to update all photos in the folder-based contact sheet to 5 stars and an error popped up with no details.  I decided to re-scan that folder and suddenly there were about double the number of photos in the catalog for that folder which was obviously wrong.

The only thing I could do to fix the issued was to delete the catalog and re-create it.  I have not been using previews.

I think the database is not being updated correctly when re-scanning the output folder from DxO which overwrites existing photos if they already exist.

I think the database updates need to be very carefully looked at when scanning a folder that is already cataloged and existing photos have been updated.

As I have mentioned in another post, I think it is very important to have an option to re scan a folder for changes.  Also it would be VERY useful to designate a folder to watch for changes.  This would be useful when developing photos in other software like DxO.  There are many other programs that do this very effectively.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Database problems
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 09:06:39 AM »
Keith,

I have been working extensively with photos via the Browse and normal folder-based contact sheets.

I have been developing photos in DxO PhotoLab and then scanning the output folder for the developed photos back into the catalog then applying keyword paths.  I then also copied photos to the folder-based contact sheet from the Browse tab.  The folder-based contact sheet had been catalogued.

I then tried to update all photos in the folder-based contact sheet to 5 stars and an error popped up with no details.  I decided to re-scan that folder and suddenly there were about double the number of photos in the catalog for that folder which was obviously wrong.

The only thing I could do to fix the issued was to delete the catalog and re-create it.

That's unfortunate.  In the above case we would have liked to have access to your catalog and the logs.  Without them, or a set of steps to follow that reproduce the problem, it will be more difficult to fix.

I think the database is not being updated correctly when re-scanning the output folder from DxO which overwrites existing photos if they already exist.

I think the database updates need to be very carefully looked at when scanning a folder that is already cataloged and existing photos have been updated.

If you can tell us how to reproduce the problem, we'd really appreciate it.

As I have mentioned in another post, I think it is very important to have an option to re scan a folder for changes.  Also it would be VERY useful to designate a folder to watch for changes.  This would be useful when developing photos in other software like DxO.  There are many other programs that do this very effectively.

We likely won't be doing any "watched" folders, but we will have a 'sync' tool, very likely before release.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 09:10:44 AM »
Keith,

Did the filenames change at all when you produced them from DxO?

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Sorry about not keeping a copy of the database, not thinking clearly 😟

To answer your question: files created by DxO were a mixture of new files and overwriting existing files.

These are the steps I was following:

1. Edit file in DxO which writes the file to an existing folder that is cataloged.
2. Re-scan the folder to get the new/updated file into the database.
3. Update the new/changed file with new heirarchic keywords (DxO messes the existing keywords)
4. Copy the file from the DxO output folder to another folder that is also cataloged. It is this target folder that has the incorrect number of files.

In the Browse tab I am using IPTC/Keywords to view my files which are spread over multiple directories.

The destination folder of the copy is a simple contact sheet and I copy by dragging with the right mouse button and then select Copy (both source and destination folders are on the same drive).

Hope this helps.