Author Topic: Applying IPTC stationery to locked/protected images  (Read 1973 times)

Offline verselines

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Applying IPTC stationery to locked/protected images
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:27:07 PM »
Disclaimer: Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I'm new to using PM

I use PM to batch caption all my photos by selecting all pics, then using the apply IPTC to selected. But the IPTC can't be applied to photos that I'd locked/protected in-camera. I had to manually unlock/change permissions for each individual protected photo before being able to apply the IPTC metadata, which is very time-consuming. Is there a way to either 'override' the protection or to change the permissions for multiple images at a time instead of one by one. Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Applying IPTC stationery to locked/protected images
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 10:47:27 AM »
Disclaimer: Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I'm new to using PM

I use PM to batch caption all my photos by selecting all pics, then using the apply IPTC to selected. But the IPTC can't be applied to photos that I'd locked/protected in-camera. I had to manually unlock/change permissions for each individual protected photo before being able to apply the IPTC metadata, which is very time-consuming. Is there a way to either 'override' the protection or to change the permissions for multiple images at a time instead of one by one. Thanks!

No, there is no way to have Photo Mechanic unlock your files directly.  Are you editing on the card?  We definitely do not recommend modifying your images before you get them onto your computer's hard drive.  If you use the Ingest feature, the images will be copied to your destination drive and they will no longer be locked.  The images that you locked will be unlocked and the tag checkbox will be set to checked at the destination location.  You can even apply a metadata template as your images are copied which can save a lot of time and effort.

HTH,

-Kirk