Author Topic: How to restore from backup?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
How to restore from backup?
« on: September 09, 2020, 09:10:39 AM »
Hi Kirk, 

I just had a hard drive failure. I was actually able to retrieve my files from the dying drive. So, now my restored files are on the replacement drive, exactly as they had been before the failure - same paths, no edits to files. everything should be exactly the same as it was when the database last saw it. (The catalog files are on a laptop. The pictures live on a file server.)

But my catalogs are not connected to the image files. Thumbnails are there. searches work. But I can't access files from a search return nor does "Reveal in Finder" work.

I tried reintegrate and reindex with no joy.

So, how can I reconnect the catalogs? All things being reasonably equal, I'd rather not simply scan to catalog because there are many instances where images in a single folder were in separate catalogs.

-Carl

And yeah good backups are good and always necessary, but I'm looking more favorably on RAID at this point.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to restore from backup?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 09:38:49 AM »
Carl,

I just had a hard drive failure. I was actually able to retrieve my files from the dying drive. So, now my restored files are on the replacement drive, exactly as they had been before the failure - same paths, no edits to files. everything should be exactly the same as it was when the database last saw it. (The catalog files are on a laptop. The pictures live on a file server.)

But my catalogs are not connected to the image files. Thumbnails are there. searches work. But I can't access files from a search return nor does "Reveal in Finder" work.

I tried reintegrate and reindex with no joy.

At the conclusion of the reintegrate operation, was there any indication that a number of files were not found?

Could you try turning on CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING ?  In the Catalog menu, choose "[Configure Debug Logging]" and in the window that appears, set the checkbox for the item labeled "CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING".  Then click Close.  Quit Photo Mechanic Plus and start it up again.  Then perform the Reintegrate again.  When it completes, go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..."

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload the zipped log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 01:20:41 PM »
Aha.  Trouble in serverland. It appears that my replacement harddrive is defective. (First time that's actually happened to me.) I just redirected Samba to point the network share to the restored directory on a different drive and Photo Mechanic Plus is connecting with the files just fine.

Funny how problems tend to be where you look last, not first. Weirdly, that data looked fine last night. Today, the drive is a giant collection of bad sectors.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
Carl,

Aha.  Trouble in serverland. It appears that my replacement harddrive is defective. (First time that's actually happened to me.) I just redirected Samba to point the network share to the restored directory on a different drive and Photo Mechanic Plus is connecting with the files just fine.

Funny how problems tend to be where you look last, not first. Weirdly, that data looked fine last night. Today, the drive is a giant collection of bad sectors.

Wow, that's quite unusual.

-Kirk