Author Topic: Slow Ingest  (Read 3130 times)

Offline DaveG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow Ingest
« on: October 25, 2020, 06:35:37 PM »
I recently shot two hockey games (1800'ish 18MP RAW frames each) and the ingest seemed to be very slow.  I'm using a 10 month old gaming desktop with 32 gig of memory, using an i7 and so forth so I don't think that this is a computer problem.  What I have changed is that I'm using code replacement to input {event} and {date} as the folder name.  Could the lookup of this information be slowing everything down?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow Ingest
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »
Dave,

I recently shot two hockey games (1800'ish 18MP RAW frames each) and the ingest seemed to be very slow.  I'm using a 10 month old gaming desktop with 32 gig of memory, using an i7 and so forth so I don't think that this is a computer problem.  What I have changed is that I'm using code replacement to input {event} and {date} as the folder name.  Could the lookup of this information be slowing everything down?

Unlikely.  Code Replacement is extremely fast.

I suspect your card reader or a driver problem on your laptop.  If you copy files from your card reader directly with your OS (I'm assuming Windows, so use Windows Explorer), do the files copy significantly faster?

-Kirk

Offline DaveG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »
It's actually a desktop but I'm not sure about Windows Explorer being a faster way to upload.  I'll have to check.  Meanwhile do card readers have drivers?  I'll have to check on that as well.

Thanks

Offline DaveG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 04:21:38 PM »
As a follow up.  Is there ANYTHING that can be changed in Photo Mechanic that would slow down Ingest? I'm just wondering if I have Tab A in Slot B and that turns out to be very bad.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 04:49:49 PM »
Dave,

It's actually a desktop but I'm not sure about Windows Explorer being a faster way to upload.  I'll have to check.  Meanwhile do card readers have drivers?  I'll have to check on that as well.

I'm not suggesting that you switch to using Windows Explorer.  I am looking for information.  Is the problem in the card, the reader, the interface?  If it's slow to copy images in Windows Explorer, then Photo Mechanic is going to be slow at Ingesting as well.

If it turns out that Windows Explorer copies images fast then there could indeed be a problem with Photo Mechanic that we'll have to look into.

-Kirk