Author Topic: PM does not show my LR changes  (Read 1931 times)

Offline PieterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM does not show my LR changes
« on: November 02, 2020, 01:15:32 AM »
Hi,
If I have a photo in a catalog in PM Plus, and edit that photo in LR, the changes made in LR (exposure etc) do not show in PM. I can make this happen by enabling RAW rendering in PM settings. However, this slows PM down considerably as it then generates a rendered raw photo for each and every photo I select. I think this could be solved in two ways:
- the raw engine is only activated for the photos that have changes, or better:
- LR saves a new preview to be used by PM (replacing the old embedded preview generated by the camera). I do not use DNG but (Nikon) raw, and can only find an option to write changes in xmp, but I cannot find an option to change the embedded preview itself (I believe there is such an option for DNG users).
I cannot get any of these options to work. Please give me some guidance as it is not much use to either have PM run slow, or not see changes made in LR. Ofcourse, if you see any other solutions than the above, pls let me know as well.
Thanks!
Pieter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM does not show my LR changes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 09:16:15 AM »
Pieter,

If I have a photo in a catalog in PM Plus, and edit that photo in LR, the changes made in LR (exposure etc) do not show in PM. I can make this happen by enabling RAW rendering in PM settings. However, this slows PM down considerably as it then generates a rendered raw photo for each and every photo I select. I think this could be solved in two ways:
- the raw engine is only activated for the photos that have changes, or better:

The RAW Rendering system in PM already does this.  It keeps a checksum of the ACR settings (crss namespace) and renders the image when it changes.  When there is no data for an image, it has to do an initial render.  (It has to start somewhere).  Now, if instead there were a setting to not render RAW files with the Adobe DNG Converter unless the XMP for the image had ACR settings then that initial render could be skipped.  However not all RAW files have good previews (yours may) and we'd have to keep a database of camera models that can omit rendering when no settings are present.

- LR saves a new preview to be used by PM (replacing the old embedded preview generated by the camera). I do not use DNG but (Nikon) raw, and can only find an option to write changes in xmp, but I cannot find an option to change the embedded preview itself (I believe there is such an option for DNG users).

Adobe does not like to modify RAW files that are undocumented.  They created the DNG specification to provide a fully-documented and modifiable file format to deal with this problem.  They will likely never update the embedded previews in any RAW format besides DNG.

I cannot get any of these options to work. Please give me some guidance as it is not much use to either have PM run slow, or not see changes made in LR. Of course, if you see any other solutions than the above, pls let me know as well.

I suggest either embracing DNG or producing JPEG files with the same base name in the same folder as your RAW files.  PM will combine the RAW and the JPEG images as a single thumbnail and it will show the JPEG image data which should look the same as it did in Lightroom.

-Kirk

Offline PieterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM does not show my LR changes
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »
Hi Kirk,
That’s really great service to get such a speedy and detailed answer. Thanks, I will be trying both DNG and RAW+JPEG and see how that goes.
Regards,
Pieter