Photo Mechanic > Support

Apple M1 Chip

<< < (6/8) > >>

ahoward:

--- Quote from: jrp on November 27, 2021, 09:40:25 AM ---With 45Mpx DNGs is takes a couple over a second to get to / a loupe view from the grid view.

I'm surprised that generating a native app is more than setting the tool chain to produce native binaries and, for bonus points, migrating to use of the faster GPU capabilities.

Ingesting SD cards using photo mechanics seems much slower on the new MacBook Pro than it was on the old Intel ones.

--- End quote ---

How long does an Ingest of the same images on the same memory card take on an intel Mac vs on your M1 Mac? And how does this compare to copying the contents of the card via Finder on the respective systems?

I do notice a small delay to bring up the preview when using Loupe on the contact sheet, but its about the same as on my intel Mac, not noticeably slower.

jrp:
The other reasons for using native apps is that they use less power than interpreted ones. The reason that Photo Mechanic is fairly power hungry is that it pre-processes files for viewing / previewing.  I have no idea whether it would be less power hungry using the GPU directly rather than interpreted via Rosetta 2, but I imagine that it would require a substantial rewrite of Power Mechanic to make the best use of the M1 Silicon GPUs and it seems clear from the responses here that camera bits is not going to put resource into doing that, for whatever reasons.

IanCharles:
Hi,
don't know if anyone else has had this but I'm finding PM occasionally hangs if its been opened after sleep. I have to force quit then wait a few seconds before restarting after whch it works fine. I'm using an M1 MBP which I bought in May 2021.
Any suggestions?

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: IanCharles on December 10, 2021, 03:32:01 AM ---don't know if anyone else has had this but I'm finding PM occasionally hangs if its been opened after sleep. I have to force quit then wait a few seconds before restarting after whch it works fine. I'm using an M1 MBP which I bought in May 2021.
Any suggestions?

--- End quote ---

Just give it some time.  It is probably blocked while trying to read your disk(s) that are still coming back online from sleep mode.

-Kirk

jrp:
On my MacBook Pro 2021, I find that Photo Mechanic seems to use 20-25% of a 10-core cpu when it I am just looking at a picture, not doing anything else.  It also takes about 9Gb of memory.  This seems a bit extravagent.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version