Author Topic: Dragged photo into new folder gets deleted or ends up in the parent folder  (Read 1836 times)

Offline mhobi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi all

I am using Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5343 (d7c24ad) on macOS 11 and observed the following.

Issue A) When dragging a photo into a new folder it gets deleted.
Steps to reproduce:

1) Create a photo on the desktop, e.g. 'test.jpg'
2) Open PM+ and select the desktop folder in the Navigator panel, the photo 'test.jpg' appears on the contact sheet
3) Right-click on the desktop folder and select 'New folder inside this folder'
4) Give the folder a name, e.g. 'Test', and hit 'Enter' (the folder 'Test' is selected in the Navigator but the photo 'test.jpg' is still shown on the contact sheet??)
5) Drag and drop the photo 'test.jpg' onto PM+ on the contact sheet
6) PM+ asks if the file should be overwritten, choose 'Replace'
7) The photo 'test.jpg' has been deleted and is gone, it is also not in the bin of the operating system

Issue B) Another issue (but most probably related to the issue above): When dragging a photo into a new folder it ends up in the parent folder
Steps to reproduce:

2) Open PM+ and select an existing folder (e.g. 'Users/<username>/Pictures') in the Navigator panel
3) Right-click on the Picures folder and select 'New folder inside this folder'
4) Give the folder a name, e.g. 'Test', and hit 'Enter'
6) The photo 'test.jpg' has been moved physically to the Pictures folder instead of the Pictures/Test folder (you can verify this with 'Reveal in Finder')

Thanks and regards
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Dragged photo into new folder gets deleted or ends up in the parent folder
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 09:14:48 AM »
Michael,

Issue A) When dragging a photo into a new folder it gets deleted.
Steps to reproduce:

2) Open PM+ and select the desktop folder in the Navigator panel, the photo 'test.jpg' appears on the contact sheet
3) Right-click on the desktop folder and select 'New folder inside this folder'
4) Give the folder a name, e.g. 'Test', and hit 'Enter' (the folder 'Test' is selected in the Navigator but the photo 'test.jpg' is still shown on the contact sheet??)

Why is this unexpected?  Naming a folder in the navigator shouldn't change what the contact sheet is showing.

6) PM+ asks if the file should be overwritten, choose 'Replace'
7) The photo 'test.jpg' has been deleted and is gone, it is also not in the bin of the operating system

Understood.  This is a bug.  It should not allow copying a file onto itself.  The problem is that the file is deleted at the destination, but in this case that file also happens to be the source file.  It should just refuse to do the operation since it doesn't make sense to do so.

Issue B) Another issue (but most probably related to the issue above): When dragging a photo into a new folder it ends up in the parent folder
Steps to reproduce:

2) Open PM+ and select an existing folder (e.g. 'Users/<username>/Pictures') in the Navigator panel
3) Right-click on the Picures folder and select 'New folder inside this folder'
4) Give the folder a name, e.g. 'Test', and hit 'Enter'
6) The photo 'test.jpg' has been moved physically to the Pictures folder instead of the Pictures/Test folder (you can verify this with 'Reveal in Finder')

On this one, I just don't quite understand.  You don't mention having a contact sheet open?  Do you have one open, and if so, what folder is it browsing?
Dragging and dropping a file from outside of PM and into a contact sheet copies the image to the folder that the contact sheet is browsing, so if it is browsing the Pictures folder, that's where the image will go.  Sounds like you're not making the contact sheet browse your new Test folder to me.

-Kirk

Offline mhobi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Dragged photo into new folder gets deleted or ends up in the parent folder
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 10:39:00 AM »
Hi Kirk

You are right, I wasn't aware that I was still browsing the previous folder. I got confused because the new folder gets highlighted in the Navigator panel. Sorry, my bad.
Thanks as always for your great support and making PM+ such a great product :)

Best regards
Michael