Photo Mechanic Plus > Support

catalog metadata gathering NAS

(1/4) > >>

webmstrk9:
I'm new to the Photo Mechanic world and jumped in feet first as I was looking for a cataloging system. I had used Lightroom in the past but as my LR catalog grew, performance started degrade, the same can be said about CaptureOne with their catalog.

So I'm in the process of my 7th attempt to scan my NAS for my catalog, but have noticed the "catalog metadata gathering" would want to process at less than 1/sec, which would equate to approx 17+ estimated days to complete. I would come back a few hours later and it would be processing at 1.3/sec with an adjusted ETC, but return later, it would drop to .3/sec.

Do I just need to let it run its course or can I add another hamster to the wheel? I've adjusted the priority to 10 for this with the above results.

Thanks in advance

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: webmstrk9 on December 02, 2020, 03:45:01 PM ---I'm new to the Photo Mechanic world and jumped in feet first as I was looking for a cataloging system. I had used Lightroom in the past but as my LR catalog grew, performance started degrade, the same can be said about CaptureOne with their catalog.

So I'm in the process of my 7th attempt to scan my NAS for my catalog, but have noticed the "catalog metadata gathering" would want to process at less than 1/sec, which would equate to approx 17+ estimated days to complete. I would come back a few hours later and it would be processing at 1.3/sec with an adjusted ETC, but return later, it would drop to .3/sec.

Do I just need to let it run its course or can I add another hamster to the wheel? I've adjusted the priority to 10 for this with the above results.

--- End quote ---

That seems awfully slow.  I wouldn't expect the speed of the batches to get significantly slower over time.  Is the speed of the NAS variable in general?

-Kirk

webmstrk9:
The NAS is about 4 ft away.

On average, I would transfer 30GB worth of data in about 30-45 minutes. I don’t work directly off the NAS, it’s my archival destination.

webmstrk9:
Checked now, it's at 2.2/sec, estimated 1.7 days

Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5376 (14f9534)

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: webmstrk9 on December 02, 2020, 04:40:38 PM ---Checked now, it's at 2.2/sec, estimated 1.7 days

Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5376 (14f9534)

--- End quote ---

That's quite a bit more reasonable.  Did anything change?

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version