Author Topic: How to open a catalog  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Peter Glass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to open a catalog
« on: December 30, 2020, 07:21:24 PM »
I just downloaded Photo Mechanic Plus (Build 5438). I created my first catalog (hopefully correctly). However, I cannot figure out how to open the catalog.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to open a catalog
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 10:33:48 PM »
Peter,

Please see: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001160826-getting-started-with-photo-mechanic-plus-tutorial-video

If you still have questions, there is more documentation here: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/48000450977

And feel free to ask about anything you don't see covered in the documentation or the Getting Started video.

-Kirk

Offline Peter Glass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm still having no luck opening any of the catalogs I create. None of the images from a catalog show up on the screen. The "Tasks" on the bottom left of the screen seem to be indicating that everything is proceeding normally when I do a "Scan to catalog" of my images. Also, when I look at the catalog in my browser, it has lots of files in it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 04:32:51 PM »
Peter,

I'm still having no luck opening any of the catalogs I create. None of the images from a catalog show up on the screen. The "Tasks" on the bottom left of the screen seem to be indicating that everything is proceeding normally when I do a "Scan to catalog" of my images. Also, when I look at the catalog in my browser, it has lots of files in it.

Have you tried clicking on any of the items in the Browse tab that have numbers after them?

Here's a quick way to see all of the items in your catalog(s):

Click on the Filter tab in the Organizer.
Click the "New" button in the Filter pane.  All of the images in the catalogs that are currently set to be searched will appear in a few moments.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Peter Glass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 06:11:30 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Success!!

Thanks for your help, and Happy New Year.

Peter

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 12:50:40 AM »
This is daft. How can it be so difficult to see a catalog by default???!!!

It really makes it SO hard to extol the virtues of PMP to newcomers when it is so complicated just to see the images in a catalog. Ridiculous.

I have put a request to show all images by default in a feedback forum here https://docs.camerabits.com/support/discussions/topics/48000561198

Can I ask anyone who agrees to support the proposal?

I can think of no other image software where you can't just see the images in a catalog by default. It's madness. Imagine if LR did that.

Apologies for rant, but I just don't get it.

Thanks for an otherwise great program.

Stephen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 08:00:37 AM »
Stephen,

It really makes it SO hard to extol the virtues of PMP to newcomers when it is so complicated just to see the images in a catalog. Ridiculous.

I have put a request to show all images by default in a feedback forum here https://docs.camerabits.com/support/discussions/topics/48000561198

How do you propose that this be done?  You've got a bit of time with the product so you've seen that there are three ways to view images in a catalog: Search, Browse, and Filter.  It's no problem at all to create a query that produces all images from a Search or a Filter.  We currently offer the ability to restore all of the tabs from the last session so once you've done a Search for "" and you don't close it, then on every usage of the app, you'll see all images in that Search tab.  Would you still want another tab that pops up on each launch that shows all of your images?

I'm looking for ideas.  I think your request is reasonable and we do want the application to appeal to both the uninitiated and the dyed-in-the-wool Photo Mechanic users.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 08:24:19 AM »

Can I ask anyone who agrees to support the proposal?

No, no, no and no... especially not !!!!

What's the point of seeing all the pictures ? To reassure you?
The catalog is made to look for some pictures, not to see them all !!!

When you place an order on Amazon, you only see the products you are looking for, not all of them !!! Fortunately !!!

When you master at least PM6+ you'll see that it's easy, with the "snapshots", to easily display all the pictures of animals or landscapes... for example, which is more than enough ...

My opinion.

Codially
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 08:47:04 AM »
For example, a "snapshot" "Animals by title", which combines a "Custom Search" filter with "Animalia", a "Primary Title" filter, a "Secondary Title" filter and finally a "Keywords" filter...
All animal pictures are displayed in one click on the snapshot, what more could you ask for ???

::)
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 04:17:47 AM »
Stephen,

How do you propose that this be done?  You've got a bit of time with the product so you've seen that there are three ways to view images in a catalog: Search, Browse, and Filter.  It's no problem at all to create a query that produces all images from a Search or a Filter.  We currently offer the ability to restore all of the tabs from the last session so once you've done a Search for "" and you don't close it, then on every usage of the app, you'll see all images in that Search tab.  Would you still want another tab that pops up on each launch that shows all of your images?

I'm looking for ideas.  I think your request is reasonable and we do want the application to appeal to both the uninitiated and the dyed-in-the-wool Photo Mechanic users.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Just a simple check-box (or eyeball icon?) which toggles show-all would be great.

Here is a quickly mocked-up version of what I envisage

Offline syncrasy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 06:24:50 AM »
Stephen's suggestion for adding a show-all toggle is a simple and smart modification to the current UI and it helps address one of PM+'s most serious usability shortcomings: poor visual communication of a catalog's existence. Note that I say "helps" address. The only way to fully address the shortcoming is to place catalog on/off selection in the main UI (instead of buried in a dialogue). That would require redesign but it would make the software more usable.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:28:03 AM by syncrasy »
-- Mark

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 08:08:52 AM »
Maybe a "searched" catalog—ie displaying some, but not all of that catalog—could display a half-filled icon (as below), and an unseen catalog (no images selected/shown) would have a have a line, as I have put (or some other colour, or something).

Personally, I feel that when a catalog is created, the show-all option should be active by default, with maybe 3 toggles: 1.) show all 2.) show latest search 3.) show none. There would be no need for an actual "tick", in the check-boxes, just the three different icons relating to each status.

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 08:29:19 AM »

Would you still want another tab that pops up on each launch that shows all of your images?

-Kirk

When the third of my above states, 3.) show none was selected, no new tab with that catalog, or search of that catalog, would be restored from the previous session on restarting PM+.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »
Stephen,

Just a simple check-box (or eyeball icon?) which toggles show-all would be great.

Here is a quickly mocked-up version of what I envisage

What would that do when checked?  Always show all images in that catalog?  What if you want to do a search or a filter, or browse?  Does that checkbox have any effect on those tasks?  Would the checkbox become unchecked when you do a filter, search or select items in the Browse tree?  Perhaps better than a state would be an "All" button that when clicked would create a search tab that would show all images?  That tab could persist over restarts of the app if you don't close it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 02:47:05 PM »
Mark,

Stephen's suggestion for adding a show-all toggle is a simple and smart modification to the current UI and it helps address one of PM+'s most serious usability shortcomings: poor visual communication of a catalog's existence. Note that I say "helps" address. The only way to fully address the shortcoming is to place catalog on/off selection in the main UI (instead of buried in a dialogue).

What dialog is it to be buried in?

-Kirk