Author Topic: Maintaining Crop and Rating after editing  (Read 4812 times)

Offline muzdav

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Murray Davidson Photography
Maintaining Crop and Rating after editing
« on: April 24, 2007, 05:05:53 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to PM but already a big fan of 4.5 which I use for managing event shoots and web page generation.  However, I find it very frustrating that when I've defined a crop and color category for an image, then later edit it in PS, save, then return to find my crop definition and color category and tag are all gone.  If the viewed selection is being filtered to show only images of a particular color, this means that the image disappears from the thumbnails and I have to show the whole set, find the shot, recategorize, then re-apply the filter. 

Can this be fixed?

It would be great to have a button to apply and save a given crop to an image so that a crop naturally carried through to the external editor.

And another thing, can a 'sharpen' option be added to the "Save Photos As" dialog box, similar to the one for HTML page exporting (which I also use).

And while I'm at it, when I 'Control-doubleclick' to edit an image in an existing session of PS from the thumbnail view, the PS window does not come to the front automatically.  When I select the flashing PS icon on the task bar, the window 'half refreshes' and it takes flicking back to PM then back to PS for the PS application window to fully redraw and be present on top.  Not sure if this can be made a bit cleaner.

Keep up the excellent work, and cast my vote for minor image editing/rotation to be included in future versions!

Thanks,

Murray Davidson
www.murraydavidson.com.au

(Currently using XP Home)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Maintaining Crop and Rating after editing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 06:20:11 AM »
Murray,

I'm new to PM but already a big fan of 4.5 which I use for managing event shoots and web page generation.  However, I find it very frustrating that when I've defined a crop and color category for an image, then later edit it in PS, save, then return to find my crop definition and color category and tag are all gone.  If the viewed selection is being filtered to show only images of a particular color, this means that the image disappears from the thumbnails and I have to show the whole set, find the shot, recategorize, then re-apply the filter. 

Can this be fixed?

For the most part.  You have to adjust your preferences to allow your edits to be stored inside your metadata.  Open the Preferences dialog.  Click on the Files tab.  Near the bottom is a setting titled "Add tag, color class, and rating to IPTC/XMP:" followed by a popup menu.  Change the popup menu to read "For all photos".  You will still lose your crops however.  We don't store them in the metadata.  The reason is that you could easily resize the image (which we wouldn't be able to detect) and the crop would no longer be valid.

Quote from: muzdav
It would be great to have a button to apply and save a given crop to an image so that a crop naturally carried through to the external editor.

That would be really neat.  There is really just no universal way to do it however.

And another thing, can a 'sharpen' option be added to the "Save Photos As" dialog box, similar to the one for HTML page exporting (which I also use).

Yes.  But it would have to be much more than a simple checkbox.  The sharpening would have to be able to be tuned to what the planned use of the file is.

And while I'm at it, when I 'Control-doubleclick' to edit an image in an existing session of PS from the thumbnail view, the PS window does not come to the front automatically.  When I select the flashing PS icon on the task bar, the window 'half refreshes' and it takes flicking back to PM then back to PS for the PS application window to fully redraw and be present on top.  Not sure if this can be made a bit cleaner.

What if you use one of the other methods, like right-clicking and choosing one of the edit commands?  Any different result?

-Kirk

Offline muzdav

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Murray Davidson Photography
Re: Maintaining Crop and Rating after editing
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:45:49 AM »
Thanks for your response, Kirk.  I've changed the preferences setting now and feel much happier.

Quote from: Kirk Baker
What if you use one of the other methods, like right-clicking and choosing one of the edit commands?  Any different result?

The problem only happens when using Control-DoubleClick.  It works as it should when selecting from the right click menu.

Murray