Author Topic: Recommended process to review all images to assign keywords  (Read 1766 times)

Offline erbro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Recommended process to review all images to assign keywords
« on: January 17, 2021, 12:41:35 AM »
Hello,

I create a catalog located  on mu local SSD drive for archive images located on a NAS (about 100 000 images) a e.  Now I would like to review all the images in order to assign keywords.

The process I follow is to go to the Catalog Organizer in the browser section  on  NAS Drive an to scroll on the contact sheet.  When scrolling down the thumbnail image generation is extremely slow.

I try to unclick in the catalog management section the "Generate preview & thumbnail proxy images" flag without success .By the way  what are the exact consequence of this flag ?

I suppose my workflow is not correct ?  What is the recommendation ?

Note : For new ingest process, since I use PM6+, I assign the keywords at that time.  The issue is for all my archive for photos for earlier.

Best regards
Eric Bromey

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Recommended process to review all images to assign keywords
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 02:11:48 PM »
Eric,

I create a catalog located on my local SSD drive for archive images located on a NAS (about 100 000 images) a e.  Now I would like to review all the images in order to assign keywords.

The process I follow is to go to the Catalog Organizer in the browser section  on  NAS Drive an to scroll on the contact sheet.  When scrolling down the thumbnail image generation is extremely slow.

I try to unclick in the catalog management section the "Generate preview & thumbnail proxy images" flag without success .By the way  what are the exact consequence of this flag ?

Proxy images are mostly useful for when your images are not available (server offline, external drive is disconnected.)  Turning of that setting means that you don't need to work with offline images.

I suppose my workflow is not correct ?  What is the recommendation ?

If all you're going to do is review the images then having your NAS offline will make the contact sheet more responsive since it will be using the proxies for the images.  However, if you're going to need to change/add/remove keywords you'll need the images online.

Photo Mechanic Plus does not currently allow modifying the metadata of offline images.

-Kirk

Offline erbro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:41:18 AM »
Hello,

thank you fro your feedback.  As I understand, there is no solution to speed up the visualiasation of the thumbnails for photos located on the NAS, the NAS being online (as the purpose of thds review is to  assign  keyword).

Do you see a better option/alternative ?

Best regards
Eric Bromey

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:18:07 AM »
Eric,

thank you fro your feedback.  As I understand, there is no solution to speed up the visualiasation of the thumbnails for photos located on the NAS, the NAS being online (as the purpose of thds review is to  assign  keyword).

Do you see a better option/alternative ?

You could copy the images to a faster disk and then make your edits.  But that's not what I'd consider a workable solution.  I have no other suggestions for you at this time.  We'll have to improve our interaction with NASes.

-Kirk