Author Topic: Rendering of PSDs  (Read 1787 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Rendering of PSDs
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »
With PM+ I'm making more use of PM as a database and cataloguing PSDs as well as Raws, but the PSDs are being rendered over contrasty and over-sharpened when compared to the same file in Photoshop.

I realised that I had the sharpen preview option set in preferences, which I feel is needed when viewing raws. This was heavily over sharpening the PSD, but the PSDs are still over-sharpened when it's switched off.

Are there some settings I'm missing that would allow a better match between the PSD in PM+ and the PSD in PS.

I attach a screenshot to show the difference (PS is on the right).

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rendering of PSDs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 02:58:15 PM »
Graham,

With PM+ I'm making more use of PM as a database and cataloguing PSDs as well as Raws, but the PSDs are being rendered over contrasty and over-sharpened when compared to the same file in Photoshop.

I realised that I had the sharpen preview option set in preferences, which I feel is needed when viewing raws. This was heavily over sharpening the PSD, but the PSDs are still over-sharpened when it's switched off.

Are there some settings I'm missing that would allow a better match between the PSD in PM+ and the PSD in PS.

The composite preview in the PSD is used for producing previews and thumbnails.  It's entirely possible that the composite preview looks exactly like that.  We don't have the technology to render a PSD layer by layer with all of the various effects and plugins, so we draw upon the composite preview.  If you've turned preview sharpening off in Photo Mechanic, no additional sharpening should occur.

There are no other settings to adjust in PM.

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Re: Rendering of PSDs
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 11:05:26 PM »
The composite preview in the PSD is used for producing previews and thumbnails.

Thanks Kirk, it looks as if I need to get a better understanding of how PS works.

Cheers,

Graham