Author Topic: Missing but not missing  (Read 2562 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
Missing but not missing
« on: March 12, 2021, 04:03:48 AM »
I'm new to PM6+ and on a soon to expire trial. This is probably me missing something.

I have a new catalog. I've added a folder of around 60k jpgs in subfolders & sub-sub etc. All the files are shown as their names but many only as blank squares with their names in red. I think this means that the catalog sees them as 'missing'. But they are in the same folder as when added & they open fine with P'shop. The files are no different from the ones that are seen as present. The correct path is shown in the PM catalog. Sync or full sync makes no difference, listing the files as missing with the path.

Screenshot shows an example of this problem which involves thousands of images. My folder is above and the paste from the sync report below. The paths look identical & nothing's been moved or changed since adding to the catalog. If PM6+ can see the correct path why is it not seeing the image?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Missing but not missing
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »
I'm new to PM6+ and on a soon to expire trial. This is probably me missing something.

I have a new catalog. I've added a folder of around 60k jpgs in subfolders & sub-sub etc. All the files are shown as their names but many only as blank squares with their names in red. I think this means that the catalog sees them as 'missing'. But they are in the same folder as when added & they open fine with P'shop. The files are no different from the ones that are seen as present. The correct path is shown in the PM catalog. Sync or full sync makes no difference, listing the files as missing with the path.

Screenshot shows an example of this problem which involves thousands of images. My folder is above and the paste from the sync report below. The paths look identical & nothing's been moved or changed since adding to the catalog. If PM6+ can see the correct path why is it not seeing the image?

Hard to say.  I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »
Thanks Kirk - attached. I'm looking forward to getting this working, it looks very promising.
David

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
I found one of the 'missing' files shown in the catalog was indeed missing, unlike the examples I sent earlier. It's a file that's been moved but that would have been months ago, long before I made this catalog and imported the folders.

I've tried a trial before but never had enough time to get a grip on how to make it work for my library. I'm wondering if there might be something left over from earlier trials that has the old location of that file and prevents the new location replacing it?

David

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 11:10:18 AM »
A bit more.

I'm old and no longer surprised to find that I miss stuff that's under my nose. The screenshot in my 1st post shows that the filenames on the actual files are *different* from those in the list of missing files from PM. They have " Fieldgate Mansions" appended.

But I've not been doing any renaming - certainly not the 6,365 files that are found as missing in the collection. Should that collection only contain the volumes and folders I've added or can it inherit old data?

In any case when I added the folder with the newly named files should they not also have appeared in the catalog? I'd expect to see both oldname.jpg [missing] and newname.jpg [just imported].

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 11:37:50 AM »
David,

Thanks Kirk - attached. I'm looking forward to getting this working, it looks very promising.

I'm seeing a lot of issues where Photo Mechanic is trying to access a file at a location but it does not exist there.  Here is a sample:

[Fri Mar-12-2021 17:28:37.105][70000ee5a000][18236436] DiskUtils.mm:2209 DiskUtils::GetFileInfoStat() failed with error: No such file or directory on "/Volumes/Pinky/pics 1 + 2/housing/Parfett Street eviction 1973/Bsq1-31 Parfett Street Eviction 1973 Fieldgate Mansions.jpg"
[Fri Mar-12-2021 17:28:37.105][70000c64b000][18236436] DiskUtils.mm:2209 DiskUtils::GetFileInfoStat() failed with error: No such file or directory on "/Volumes/Pinky/pics 1 + 2/housing/Parfett Street eviction 1973/Bsq1-28 Parfett Street Eviction 1973 Fieldgate Mansions.jpg"
[Fri Mar-12-2021 17:28:37.106][700012e72000][18236436] DiskUtils.mm:2209 DiskUtils::GetFileInfoStat() failed with error: No such file or directory on "/Volumes/Pinky/pics 1 + 2/housing/Parfett Street eviction 1973/Bsq3-3 Parfett Street Eviction 1973 Fieldgate Mansions.jpg"
[Fri Mar-12-2021 17:50:05.411][70001467b000][20321476] DiskUtils.mm:2209 DiskUtils::GetFileInfoStat() failed with error: No such file or directory on "/Volumes/Pinky/pics 1 + 2/housing/Parfett Street eviction 1973/BSq4-36 Lerner Mahoney Bailey 1973 Fieldgate Mansions.jpg"

Do those paths look correct?

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 10:25:37 AM »
I thought I'd replied on the 12th but I don't see it.

You're right about the missing files issue. I pointed that out in my other emails quoted in your reply but there still remained an anomaly in the path shown for a missing file being the correct one for where it had been months ago but not since this PM6+ installation.

I wrote:
"I've tried a trial before but never had enough time to get a grip on how to make it work for my library. I'm wondering if there might be something left over from earlier trials that has the old location of that file and prevents the new location replacing it?

There are many files still showing in the catalog as missing but I'm unable to do much testing just now as PM6+ is running extremely slowly. I'll raise that in a new topic.

Thanks
David