Author Topic: SOLVED! Scanning to determine {seqn} numbering  (Read 3454 times)

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
SOLVED! Scanning to determine {seqn} numbering
« on: January 15, 2021, 03:11:10 AM »
Hi there.
Since the last 2 updates of PM 6 i do have a serious ingest issue (see attachment):
When I press ingest from my cf-express card and I`ve enabled "rename" during ingest, I always receive the message: "scanning to determine {seqn} numbering".
Then, after 2 to 3 seconds, the ingest starts, but the first 2 - 4 pics take a really long time to ingest, then for the rest of the pics it starts to speed up to normal.

If I disable "rename" during ingest, the same thing happens exept "scanning to determine...."

I don't even understant what "scanning to determine {seqn} numbering" means.

As I do shoot lots of sports and often have to ingest cards during an event every second counts...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:05:39 AM by ErwinScheriau »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Scanning to determine {seqn} numbering
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 07:32:23 AM »
Unfortunately I can't see your settings (they're fading out just as the video starts).  Can you take a screen grab (JPEG format) of the Ingest dialog and post it here please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 06:08:41 AM »
Here we go

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »
Thanks Erwin.  I see that you're using Incremental Ingest.  Do you format your card between shoots?  If you keep shooting new photos and don't ever format the card, then each time you Ingest, all of the files need to be scanned to determine if they've been ingested before.  The more photos there are (builds up over time from each shoot without a format) the longer this process will take.

Formatting your card between shoots should make that initial scanning go much faster.

-Kirk

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 05:03:53 AM »
Hi Kirk,
thanks for support. Yes, I do format the cards every time after ingesting.
And there's always been a thing called "scanning source paths" and I know that this is the check if pictures have already been ingested.
But this "scanning.... (see thread subject) :)" is very new to me. And it only happens with cf-express cards from my canon eos 1dx III (no matter if jpeg or .cr3 files).
And then there is this strange thing that the first 3 to 6 pics take more than a two seconds per pic to be ingested. Then it speeds up and ingests hundreds of pics at full speed.
All these things happen on both, my laptop and desktop PC.

I hope this issue will be swiped away with one of the next updates, cause this is really anoying.

Greetings, Erwin

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 02:38:21 AM »
Hi Kirk,
it's me again  :o
Since the problem doesn't get better (I´ve tried new cards, new card reader, different connection cables,...) I think I should uninstall PM6 and make a totaly new installation.
Will I have any issues with the activation of the new installation (I already run PM on a second PC)....
Best regards,
Erwin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 09:23:34 AM »
Erwin,

Since the problem doesn't get better (I´ve tried new cards, new card reader, different connection cables,...) I think I should uninstall PM6 and make a totaly new installation.
Will I have any issues with the activation of the new installation (I already run PM on a second PC)....

You can uninstall without deactivating.  Your activation will remain.  Just reinstall.

-Kirk

Offline ErwinScheriau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED! Scanning to determine {seqn} numbering
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 01:09:18 AM »
Hi Kirk!
Finaly I´ve found the problem.
It has nothing to do with PM.
When I insert a cf-express card it takes up to 2 minutes to start the ingest in PM.
But only when I also have connected the c-fast card reader.
As soon as I disconnect the cfast-reader, cf-express ingest starts within a second - like it was used to be.
This also happens on my windows-OS, so it is not a PM-Problem but a windows-problem.

Best regards!
Erwin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: SOLVED! Scanning to determine {seqn} numbering
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 09:13:42 AM »
Erwin,

Finaly I've found the problem.
It has nothing to do with PM.
When I insert a cf-express card it takes up to 2 minutes to start the ingest in PM.
But only when I also have connected the c-fast card reader.
As soon as I disconnect the cfast-reader, cf-express ingest starts within a second - like it was used to be.
This also happens on my windows-OS, so it is not a PM-Problem but a windows-problem.

That's very odd.  But I'm glad that you've found the problem.  I didn't know what I could change in Photo Mechanic to eliminate that delay.

-Kirk