Author Topic: Pixelmator Pro 2.0.7 round-tripping  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
    • Michael Naylor Fine Art Photography
Pixelmator Pro 2.0.7 round-tripping
« on: April 20, 2021, 01:50:35 AM »
As a Mac user, I'm thinking Pixelmator Pro could be a good choice for editing images.  However, I'm discovering EXIF issues that do cause problems.  For example, PM Plus fails to recognise the altered GPS data.

If this is a Pixelmator problem I would like to help them fix it.  If the problem is with PM Plus, then I think you should know.  Either way, I seek you assistance and am happy to send both images by WeTransfer for closer inspection.

Screenshots of the EXIF BEFORE and AFTER round-tripping.

Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Pixelmator Pro 2.0.7 round-tripping
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:02:54 AM »
Michael,

The before and after files are what we need to investigate.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »
Michael,

-Kirk
Image2 sent via Wetransfer to your support email address, which seems to think I raised a ticket.  Perhaps I should have used another address.  Anyway, thank you for looking into this.
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:57:59 AM »
Michael,

Image2 sent via Wetransfer to your support email address, which seems to think I raised a ticket.  Perhaps I should have used another address.  Anyway, thank you for looking into this.

Two images received that appear to be what you posted on this thread.  I need the images from your camera (or scanner, etc.) that you changed with Pixelmator Pro.  I need the image, before editing with Pixelmator Pro and the same image after it has been modified with Pixelmator Pro.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:03:38 AM »
Michael,

Two images received that appear to be what you posted on this thread.  I need the images from your camera (or scanner, etc.) that you changed with Pixelmator Pro.  I need the image, before editing with Pixelmator Pro and the same image after it has been modified with Pixelmator Pro.

-Kirk
Oops, I'll wetranfer the correct ones now.
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 05:51:13 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for the sample files.  We're modifying our EXIF parser to accommodate files written the way that Pixelmator Pro writes them.

Note: they're using somewhat of an uncommon yet entirely reasonable way to describe GPS coordinates and not all apps will be happy with those images.  For instance Apple's Preview app doesn't show your sample image as having GPS coordinates.

Another issue is that the GPS data was stripped of its date stamp and the horizontal positioning error data.  I don't know if that was part of your edits or not.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 01:00:27 AM »
Michael,

We're modifying our EXIF parser to accommodate files written the way that Pixelmator Pro writes them.

-Kirk

Thank you for looking into this and finding a fix. I've forwarded this thread to the Pixelmator team.
Michael

Offline Michael Naylor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 02:16:19 AM »
Pixelmator have just released 2.0.8 which appears to have fixed their end of the problem.  IE, an exported TIFF doesn't prevent PMP from reading the GPS anymore.
Michael