Author Topic: Extracting GPS data from Garmin Basecamp to PM 6 Plus  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Tom R

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Extracting GPS data from Garmin Basecamp to PM 6 Plus
« on: April 25, 2021, 06:43:07 PM »
If I understand correctly, Garmin devices export GPX (and other standard formats) which contain lists of points, which are GPS pairs. I have lots of scanned negatives, meaning they have no timestamp (or not fine-grained timestamp) data. I can physically visit many of these locations and record waypoints on a hand-held device. Now, the Garmin unit lets me export these data into Basecamp, where I can "geotag" JPEGs, which is fine, except that the Basecamp app does not modify the JPEG ... I see why they might not modify files.

But, this leaves me with two options: either type these data into the Set GPS dialogue in PM or write some Python script to extract these data from the Garden GPX file(s), and then use the ExifTool to write these data into each JPEG, etc.

I am pretty sure that many people on this forum have a better idea of how to get these data in a format the satisfies the PM dialogue ... or, at least I thought it'd be a good idea to see before likely doing more work than needed.

Any ideas (links, etc.) would be appreciated--I don't expect anyone to spend lots of time on this.

Thanks,

Tom R

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Extracting GPS data from Garmin Basecamp to PM 6 Plus
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 02:37:23 PM »
How many locations are you talking about?  Since you mentioned actually visiting the locations, I am guessing it is not in the 100s. Are you aware that you can "Set GPS coordinates" just by dragging the map? You wouldn't need to type anything.  I feel like that would probably be quicker than trying to fake it.  If they are somewhat close to each other, you can just advance from photo to photo within the Set GPS coordinates dialog, so that it does not reset location each time.   Again, not fun to contemplate with hundreds of locations, but certainly faster than traveling to hundreds of places.

Sorry if you already considered this.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Tom R

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting GPS data from Garmin Basecamp to PM 6 Plus
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 07:02:06 PM »
Interesting. I was unaware that I could drag these data from the map. I'll give that a try before investing lots of time and effort.

I am working with between forty and sixty images here. The Geo data (lat/lon, heading, etc.) will be used to generate captions for images. Think of a sequence of images identified by abstract (yet precise) data--in the spirit of a topographic mapping, but for an aesthetic impact.

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. I'll give it a go.

TR