Author Topic: Can't see edits of NEF files  (Read 1675 times)

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
Can't see edits of NEF files
« on: April 20, 2021, 05:04:54 PM »
Years ago I used to use Capture NX2 to edit my Nikon Raw files, after editing my files in NX2 I would see the changes show up in the NEF file  in Photo Mechanic. Recently I decided to give Nikon's new software Studio NX a try, but when I edit the NEF files in Studio NX, I'm not seeing the changes in the file when I view it in PM+, I changed the settings in Preferences for IPTC/XMP for the Nikon Capture recommend settings to allow RAW files to be modified and embed metadata but I don't see the changes. I can't figure out what I doing wrong or if I need to change something else to allow me to see the edits.  Any ideas of what to try?
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't see edits of NEF files
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 05:31:53 PM »
Ron,

Years ago I used to use Capture NX2 to edit my Nikon Raw files, after editing my files in NX2 I would see the changes show up in the NEF file  in Photo Mechanic. Recently I decided to give Nikon's new software Studio NX a try, but when I edit the NEF files in Studio NX, I'm not seeing the changes in the file when I view it in PM+, I changed the settings in Preferences for IPTC/XMP for the Nikon Capture recommend settings to allow RAW files to be modified and embed metadata but I don't see the changes. I can't figure out what I doing wrong or if I need to change something else to allow me to see the edits.  Any ideas of what to try?

I don't think that NX2 updates the previews in NEF files when they're edited.  If the previews aren't updated then PM (or PM Plus) isn't going to see the edits.

-Kirk

Offline RonD200

• View Profile
    • Digital Images by Ron Skinner
Re: Can't see edits of NEF files
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:09:16 PM »
Ok thanks
My Gallery - Digital Images by Ron Skinner
My Blog - Ron's Blog