Photo Mechanic > Feature Requests

Flip/Mirror Image feature

(1/2) > >>

csborgman:
Sounded like a simple question to me, although the Apple Aperture rep was stunned that such a simple feature could have been overlooked.  LightRoom has a Mirror All function which flips every picture, not good if the client want's to compair images.

So, any way to flip/mirror an image in Preview mode?  If not, possible feature in a future version?

Thanks Kirk.  cb

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: csborgman on April 25, 2007, 10:22:29 PM ---Sounded like a simple question to me, although the Apple Aperture rep was stunned that such a simple feature could have been overlooked.  LightRoom has a Mirror All function which flips every picture, not good if the client want's to compair images.

So, any way to flip/mirror an image in Preview mode?  If not, possible feature in a future version?
--- End quote ---

Flip the image horizontally or vertically?  What would be the purpose?

-Kirk

vAfotoriporter:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on April 25, 2007, 10:59:48 PM ---Flip the image horizontally or vertically?  What would be the purpose?
--- End quote ---

For certain editorila purposes designers and so on can be handy to see what this image would look like mirrored. In a newspaper it does matter which direction your face is looking (into the page or outside from the paper).

I can imagine someone might need it, however I never used such a feature even in programmes that offer it.

csborgman:
What's the purpose?  Where do I start?.....

As an advertising/lifestyle/fashion photographer (http://chrisborgman.com) there are MANY times when I need to see a flipped/mirrored (flipped horz.) image for myself or to show a client during consultation.  This is a matter of design while editing.  Being able to view an imaged flippled while making selections for a series of photos such as for website, portfolio, promotional cards, books, magazine layouts and covers, newspaper layouts and covers, etc... would be a great help.  I would also use the feature while selectiong elements for compositing in Photoshop.  Being able to see 2 images side by side (one background, one subject) and then being able to flip it to see if it works better W/O going into PS every time would be a BIG time saver.

I just thought if you can crop an image why can't you flip it.  I would love to see this in PM but I understand it's place in the workflow.  You put in all the features people want and then you get Aperture/Lightroom that's slow and doesn't run well on older laptops.  I just thought that these programs offer everything but don't do a simple task as flip image.  Maybe PM can be the first to offer it.  The others will follow....

Chris

Kirk Baker:
Chris,

--- Quote from: csborgman on April 26, 2007, 01:26:52 PM ---What's the purpose?  Where do I start?.....

As an advertising/lifestyle/fashion photographer (http://chrisborgman.com) there are MANY times when I need to see a flipped/mirrored (flipped horz.) image for myself or to show a client during consultation.  This is a matter of design while editing.  Being able to view an imaged flippled while making selections for a series of photos such as for website, portfolio, promotional cards, books, magazine layouts and covers, newspaper layouts and covers, etc... would be a great help.  I would also use the feature while selectiong elements for compositing in Photoshop.  Being able to see 2 images side by side (one background, one subject) and then being able to flip it to see if it works better W/O going into PS every time would be a BIG time saver.

I just thought if you can crop an image why can't you flip it.  I would love to see this in PM but I understand it's place in the workflow.  You put in all the features people want and then you get Aperture/Lightroom that's slow and doesn't run well on older laptops.  I just thought that these programs offer everything but don't do a simple task as flip image.  Maybe PM can be the first to offer it.  The others will follow....
--- End quote ---

Flipping an image is trivial, actually.  It's just that any text in the image will be backwards (or upside-down) and I always figured that would be of no use to anyone.

I can put it on the wish list.

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version