Author Topic: PDA Software?  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Nyknight01

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PDA Software?
« on: April 26, 2007, 06:50:05 AM »
Not sure if this was asked before....but, when oh when will there be a version for pda's?
the only current system out there now (that i know of) is Phojo, which i have tested and found to be useful, but only under limited use i.e. small amounts of photo transmition, and the system is prone to freezing and crashing. I think a PDA version of PM for us phojos who like to travel light would be very welcomed.....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PDA Software?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 07:04:26 AM »
Not sure if this was asked before....but, when oh when will there be a version for pda's?
the only current system out there now (that i know of) is Phojo, which i have tested and found to be useful, but only under limited use i.e. small amounts of photo transmition, and the system is prone to freezing and crashing. I think a PDA version of PM for us phojos who like to travel light would be very welcomed.....

We have no plans to create a version of Photo Mechanic for PDAs.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: PDA Software?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »
I found PDAs too slow and unstable. It's not Phojo it's the operating system - Windows Mobile has just too many glitches and bugs, some from Microsoft some from the PDA maker in the firmware...Phojo worked quite well when I demoed it but the PDA was slow reading these huge 12 megapixel files, even though I had a model with 128MB ram and CPU faster than many current models...

Right now, I am leaning towards these subnotebooks with 7", 9" and similar screens. Under 1 kg, big enough display, full speed and still as small as a paperbook, not as much as PDAs but not much bigger with full functionality of Windows XP, integrated harddisk and full (albeit very very small) keyboard. Or get one of these UMPCs, with touchscreen but no keyboard, even smaller, run Windows XP/Vista too.

And there are credible rumours that Apple will release a subnotebook this year, maybe with 10" display.

Slower but still adequate models can be gotten "cheaply".
And they run photomechanic ;-)