Author Topic: MOV keep loosing their XMP sidecar  (Read 1182 times)

Offline esambo

• View Profile
MOV keep loosing their XMP sidecar
« on: May 21, 2021, 03:05:30 PM »
This might be related to:
Photo Mechanic 6, Build 5820:
Added: XMP is now embedded directly into HEIC and HIF files rather than using an XMP sidecar file.

I have Apple iPhone Live Photos which create a combination of HEIC and MOV files.
While culling through my photos (applying color labels), I keep noticing that MOV files keep losing their color values. This is not immediately obvious, as the contact sheet doesn't get updated by this type of unexpected background updating behavior. Even after explicitly setting a color label on a the MOV, they end up loosing it again within a few minutes.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: MOV keep loosing their XMP sidecar
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 07:18:29 AM »
We'll look into this next week.  Would it be possible for you to share one of these HEIC+MOV file pairs with us?

-Kirk

Offline esambo

• View Profile
Re: MOV keep loosing their XMP sidecar
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »
I shared some sample photos with support at camerabits dot com through DropBox. Please email news at emmanuelsambo dot com if needed.
But there is nothing really special about my photos. Any random MOV and HEIC will do, as long as they have the same FileNameBase, and will therefore have to share the same XMP sidecar file.
I like the idea of embedding the metadata into the HEIC, as it is awkward to share an XMP sidecar file among multiple items. But perhaps it would be better to make that conversion an explicit step that can be executed when requested?

Either of these sets of steps seem to consistently recreate the problem:
  • Adjust the contact sheet sort order in such a way that the MOV comes before the HEIC
  • Select both photos (MOV & HEIC) and Set some Color Class
  • Menu: View | Rescan
  • The MOV should have lost it's assigned color label
or:
  • Select the MOV and Set some Color Class
  • View | Rescan (for peace of mind, and show that the HEIC is using the XMP sidecar of the MOV)
  • Select the HEIC and Set a different Color Class
  • View | Rescan
  • The MOV should now have lost it's assigned color label, and the XMP sidecar file for the MOV should be gone too

See the attached screenshot of how the MOV is left without a color label afterwards
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:20:31 PM by esambo »