Author Topic: Custom Sort - Help  (Read 2464 times)

Offline b3nb123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Custom Sort - Help
« on: July 05, 2021, 02:10:49 AM »
I shoot on at least two bodies and Sort by Capture Time works great, but at the end of the culling process I often want to rearrange a few of the photos before I do a final rename and move to Lightroom to colour-check them. Other software I used allowed me to sort by Capture time initially then drag and rearrange any that I needed.
However, I've only just started using Photo Mechanic, and it's not behaving as I expect. While set to Sort by Capture Time, any rearrangement is blocked. And as soon as I change to Sort by Arrangement the photos jump to being sorted by filename, which would be a huge job to rearrange a whole day's worth of two-camera shooting.

Is there a way of arranging the photos by capture time, then freely dragging the few photos I need to rearrange?
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Custom Sort - Help
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 10:11:09 AM »
I shoot on at least two bodies and Sort by Capture Time works great, but at the end of the culling process I often want to rearrange a few of the photos before I do a final rename and move to Lightroom to colour-check them. Other software I used allowed me to sort by Capture time initially then drag and rearrange any that I needed.
However, I've only just started using Photo Mechanic, and it's not behaving as I expect. While set to Sort by Capture Time, any rearrangement is blocked. And as soon as I change to Sort by Arrangement the photos jump to being sorted by filename, which would be a huge job to rearrange a whole day's worth of two-camera shooting.

Is there a way of arranging the photos by capture time, then freely dragging the few photos I need to rearrange?

Yes.  In the Contact Sheet page of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, look for the checkbox titled "Only allow arrangements when in Arrangement sort mode".  Uncheck that checkbox.

Now you should be able to do a Capture Time sort and then move images around and they should be remembered.  The sort popup will change to Arrangement.

-Kirk

Offline b3nb123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 04:16:46 AM »
Perfect! Thanks for that, that was just what I was looking for! ;D

Is there a shortcut to jump to full-screen view of an image, from the contact sheet? Hitting enter goes into filename edit mode. Thanks

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »
Perfect! Thanks for that, that was just what I was looking for! ;D

Is there a shortcut to jump to full-screen view of an image, from the contact sheet? Hitting enter goes into filename edit mode. Thanks

Space Bar opens the Preview window.

Offline b3nb123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 03:13:05 AM »
Perfect, sorry that was such a simple question - I've got years of muscle memory for another piece of software!