Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Plus won't open  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Charlotte Hedman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Plus won't open
« on: June 22, 2021, 12:42:03 PM »
I use Photo Mechanic every day, but every week or so, it just won't open. I don't close the program, just minimize it, and I normally just click on the PMP icon on my taskbar to maximize it. But today, and many times before, when I click the icon, nothing happens.  Eventually, I have close it, but then, on re-opening, the tabs I had open are gone. I have added some to favourites so those are easily accessible but often a new "ingest" is gone. Any idea why it keeps "freezing" on me? Is there some way of preventing it? I'm quite new to PMP. Thanks so much!

Offline Charlotte Hedman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic Plus won't open
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:47:37 PM »
BTW, I am using Windows 10, Build 19041 1052. Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6. Build 5820.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:55:30 PM »
Thank you for that additional information, Charlotte.  I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic Plus log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Charlotte Hedman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 03:29:03 PM »
Thank you! I am attaching the zipped PM log file. Appreciate any help you can give me.

Charlotte

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
Charlotte,

I use Photo Mechanic every day, but every week or so, it just won't open. I don't close the program, just minimize it, and I normally just click on the PMP icon on my taskbar to maximize it. But today, and many times before, when I click the icon, nothing happens.  Eventually, I have close it, but then, on re-opening, the tabs I had open are gone. I have added some to favourites so those are easily accessible but often a new "ingest" is gone. Any idea why it keeps "freezing" on me? Is there some way of preventing it? I'm quite new to PMP. Thanks so much!

Thanks for the log.  I don't see any evidence of the application not starting up (I looked back to late-May where you started using build 5820) or failure to terminate cleanly.

You say that you keep the app open, but minimized and when you click on the app icon in the Taskbar nothing happens.  What happens if you right-click on the icon in the Taskbar?  Do you get any options (Close, Restore, etc.) ?

-Kirk

Offline Charlotte Hedman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »
Kirk

Thanks for looking at it. Very odd. If I right click on the icon on the Taskbar, my options are Photo Mechanic Plus, unpin from Taskbar, or Close Window - that's it.

It gets quite frustrating as I use PMP every day, and normally when I click on the icon, the program opens, but at least once a week, it doesn't. And when I do Alt-Tab, it doesn't show up as an open program either.

If you have any more ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Charlotte

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 09:10:25 AM »
Charlotte,

Thanks for looking at it. Very odd. If I right click on the icon on the Taskbar, my options are Photo Mechanic Plus, unpin from Taskbar, or Close Window - that's it.

It gets quite frustrating as I use PMP every day, and normally when I click on the icon, the program opens, but at least once a week, it doesn't. And when I do Alt-Tab, it doesn't show up as an open program either.

Yes, from your description, the application is not running.  Something must be telling it to quit because I can see from the logs that it shutdown cleanly.

To address your issue of having to reopen tabs, you can set Photo Mechanic Plus to restore the last session when it is reopened.

See: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001144865-general-preferences

The last radio button in the "On startup:" section when set will restore all of the contact sheets that were open at the time Photo Mechanic Plus was quit.

-Kirk

Offline Charlotte Hedman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 10:04:47 AM »
Thanks, Kirk, I've now set PMP to restore the last session when reopened. That will help a lot. But I wonder why the program keeps closing. I'm assuming you haven't heard of that problem before?

Charlotte

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »
Charlotte,

Thanks, Kirk, I've now set PMP to restore the last session when reopened. That will help a lot. But I wonder why the program keeps closing. I'm assuming you haven't heard of that problem before?

No, this is the first that I've heard of this issue.

-Kirk