Author Topic: Preview window images are pixelated for off-line files  (Read 1437 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Preview window images are pixelated for off-line files
« on: July 07, 2021, 08:01:11 AM »
Some - I don't think all - of my Previews are pixelated, clearly not the 1600 px files I expect. This is for off-line files.

I've been into Catalog Management and ensure the "Generate Previews" box is ticked/checked then done a Full Sync in Catalog Sync (with the files on-line). That should build any previews not already at 1600 px as far as I know. But it didn't. When I go off-line I can find pixelated previews again.

This is Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 5820 (a6fdfbc) on a Mac running macOS 11.4

Thanks!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Preview window images are pixelated for off-line files
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 10:32:23 AM »
Is there any attribute that all of these images that show up as pixellated have in common or that differentiates them from the images that don't appear pixellated? For example, if they are all RAWs with a small embedded preview, a larger 1600px is just going to be an upscaled version of that smaller preview, leading to pixellation. Please post a screenshot that gives an example of this issue.

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 12:32:39 AM »
Is there any attribute that all of these images that show up as pixellated have in common

Yes! I've done another Full Sync and it seems to me that any raw+jpeg images appear pixelated when the files are off-line. Interestingly, I expected some old Olympus ORF files to show the issue as I thought the preview in those files was small but no, they are fine. But recent raw Fujifilm RAF + JPEG are not. Fujifilm RAF files without a JPEG are fine, the preview shows up as expected, but as soon as I select an image with a JPEG it renders pixelated.

I have PM set to show the raw and JPEG file combined in the same thumbnail on the contact sheet.

I checked the size of the JPEG as I expect you will say PM+ is using that file - not the raw - to create its preview. Most are around 6000 x 4000 px, so big enough to create a decent 1600 px preview.

So it seems to me an issue when having raw+jpeg files. I don't seem to have any older CR2 or NEF files with JPEGs to prove if this is simply a Fujifilm RAF issue, but why would it be? Any raw file be it CR2, NEF, ORF or RAF is previewed perfectly as expected when the files are off-line.

Thanks!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 11:20:18 AM »
Thanks for the information. Some Olympus ORFs did have smaller previews, but that doesn't seem like the issue here to me either.

Can you send us one of these RAW+JPEG pairs? Please compress the two files into a ZIP and email to support@camerabits.com with attention to Andrew. If I cannot reproduce on my own computer I may want to follow up with a phone call to get more information so I can file a bug.

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 01:47:16 AM »
Can you send us one of these RAW+JPEG pairs?

Yes, I'll do that.

Meanwhile I see the issue is not just with RAF files, I can now see pixelated previews with CR2 and NEF files.

I created some same size JPEGs from NEF and CR2 files (by exporting from Lightroom). I put the raw, JPEG and XMP files into a new folder on my external hard drive and did a 'Scan to Catalog' for this folder.

The previews are correct when the hard drive is connected. But when off-line all files - RAF, NEF and CR2 - show pixelated previews. (To be clear, my RAF JPEGs were created in camera, the NEF and CR2 version in Lightroom. So I don't think this is caused by corrupt or incompatible camera JPEGs - if there were such a thing.)

I'm sending you an email with a ZIP as requested, I'll also send a link to download direct in case of email issues.

Thanks again.