Author Topic: How to make Imported GPS coordinates "stick"?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Kat1108

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to make Imported GPS coordinates "stick"?
« on: August 11, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »
Hello, new user here.
I may be missing something, but I am trying to add GPS data to photos. I have a Garmin GPX file, and a set of photos. I have successfully worked through uploading GPSBabel & importing GPS coordinates using answers on this forum, so that I can identify where a photo was taken on the map correctly. (See attached image)
When I click Import GPS coordinates, I get a message telling me that the coordinates are set on the photo.
But then if I right click on the photo in the contact sheet and select Image information - no location data is shown.

What am I missing? I'm trying to add the location data then export the images to a google map or GIS platform so I can see them all geolocated on a map.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to make Imported GPS coordinates "stick"?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 10:52:37 AM »
By default the "Info Text" does not show GPS info.  It can be customized to do so.  From the Settings sub-menu on the Edit menu, choose "Set Info Text..." then add the following wherever you see fit:

GPS: {glat} {glon}

Then click the "Set" button.  Now you should see the GPS entry on the Image Info sub-menu of the contextual menus in the Contact Sheet and Preview, the Info Tool Tips in the Contact Sheet, and in the Info pane in the Preview window.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Kat1108

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 11:56:57 AM »
Hello - thank you for such a quick reply. With respect to whether it has helped, sort of,  but not really  :-\

I've been able to add the category as you explained, but it's empty, after doing the steps described in the original post. See attached. there seems to be a disconnect between the coordinates allegedly being added, and actually being added. Hopefully the issue is a bit clearer now.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 01:18:40 PM »
Hello - thank you for such a quick reply. With respect to whether it has helped, sort of,  but not really  :-\

I've been able to add the category as you explained, but it's empty, after doing the steps described in the original post. See attached. there seems to be a disconnect between the coordinates allegedly being added, and actually being added. Hopefully the issue is a bit clearer now.

Please post your image so that I can examine its data. Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG image.  It would also be useful to have your .GPX file.

Thanks,

-Kirk