Photo Mechanic > Feature Requests

Need Option to revert to previous Preview nav style

(1/1)

david_hill:
When using scroll wheel and cursor keys to navigate in the Preview window in 4.5, I'm noticing some changes from 4.4.3.3. Personally, I don't like the changes... Specifically:

In 4.4.3.3 and earlier, if you use your scroll wheel, it would go up by an entire row at a time. Now in 4.5 is just goes up by one image at a time. Same thing for up/down cursor keys... I realize I can get the behavior I want by using page up/down instead, but I hate having to reach for those.

Additionally, if you click on a thumb in the thumbnail strip below the main preview, it will re-center on that thumb, which I find jumpy and visually disconcerting.

Pretty please, please give us a way to revert back to the old way. I will never be able to consider this new way normal. It hurts my brain.

Kirk Baker:
David,

--- Quote from: david_hill on April 29, 2007, 02:07:25 PM ---When using scroll wheel and cursor keys to navigate in the Preview window in 4.5, I'm noticing some changes from 4.4.3.3. Personally, I don't like the changes... Specifically:

In 4.4.3.3 and earlier, if you use your scroll wheel, it would go up by an entire row at a time. Now in 4.5 is just goes up by one image at a time. Same thing for up/down cursor keys... I realize I can get the behavior I want by using page up/down instead, but I hate having to reach for those.

Additionally, if you click on a thumb in the thumbnail strip below the main preview, it will re-center on that thumb, which I find jumpy and visually disconcerting.

Pretty please, please give us a way to revert back to the old way. I will never be able to consider this new way normal. It hurts my brain.
--- End quote ---

Didn't you just post something like this a couple of hours ago?  I responded to that thread.

It is unlikely that I will ever make it scroll vertically again.  We had far too many complaints about the way it used to work.  It would not be easy to make it dynamically change back to the way it worked before.

People really didn't like how they couldn't see what was coming next/previous when they were at the sides of a row.  With the way it now works, you can see quite easily what images are coming up or are in the past.

-Kirk

david_hill:
Yes, I did... cross-posting to correct forum now that I know it's a feature and not an issue :)

Sorry for confusion if that's not the protocol here. New on this board.

I'm no programmer, but if there's an "easy" way to fix this, I'm guessing it would be via mapping to the "Page down" key function, since that key is already invoking the old behavior. A pref under Preview could say Scroll wheel=single image or row. Same for vertical cursor key... In effect, your horizontal versus vertical key behavior under the new model is nearly redundant, but also confusing. The vertical cursor key behavior is just odd to me. I have not figured out yet why it does what it now does... Because the behavior is near redundant, you could have horizontal cursor keys do the "new" way and vertical cursor keys do the "old" way with an actual gain of functionality.

Complaints or not, I think you probably have a huge Nixonian "silent majority" who get annoyed with massive interface change and no pref to keep the way they've been doing it for years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version