Author Topic: Crop disappears after Save As  (Read 1718 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Crop disappears after Save As
« on: March 21, 2022, 11:39:00 AM »
Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6375 (29e744b)
M1 MacBook Pro, Monterey

I'm getting some odd behaviour when using the crop tool on images stored on a network drive. This issue is not intermittent, it happens every time.

I will draw a crop, then use Save As to save a cropped copy of the image. Shortly after the save completes, the image and sidebar flashes, as in, it disappears and reappears in a fraction of a second. But when it reappears the crop is gone. I then tried saving the image again after the crop disappeared and it did indeed save with the crop, so it would seem that the crop is actually still there, it's just not visible.

After the crop disappears, if I leave PM to use another program, and then return to PM, the image and sidebar flashes again and the crop returns.

This behaviour only occurs when editing images stored on a network drive (an external drive connected to an older Airport Extreme). Also, I just bought a new M1 MacBook Pro it only happens on the new machine, not on my previous 2012 MacBook Pro running Mojave. Same version of PM on both machines.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop disappears after Save As
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 12:13:46 PM »
Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6375 (29e744b)
M1 MacBook Pro, Monterey

I'm getting some odd behaviour when using the crop tool on images stored on a network drive. This issue is not intermittent, it happens every time.

I will draw a crop, then use Save As to save a cropped copy of the image. Shortly after the save completes, the image and sidebar flashes, as in, it disappears and reappears in a fraction of a second. But when it reappears the crop is gone. I then tried saving the image again after the crop disappeared and it did indeed save with the crop, so it would seem that the crop is actually still there, it's just not visible.

After the crop disappears, if I leave PM to use another program, and then return to PM, the image and sidebar flashes again and the crop returns.

This behaviour only occurs when editing images stored on a network drive (an external drive connected to an older Airport Extreme). Also, I just bought a new M1 MacBook Pro it only happens on the new machine, not on my previous 2012 MacBook Pro running Mojave. Same version of PM on both machines.

That's certainly odd.  If you move to another photo and back to the current photo, does the crop reappear?

If I can reproduce the problem, I'll fix it.  If you can help me reproduce the problem, I'll be right on it.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »

That's certainly odd.  If you move to another photo and back to the current photo, does the crop reappear?

If I can reproduce the problem, I'll fix it.  If you can help me reproduce the problem, I'll be right on it.

-Kirk

Just tried it and yes, the crop reappears. Let me know if you need anything, I'm happy to help.

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 12:46:12 PM »
In case it helps...
After seeing this several more times I realize I should be more specific regarding the image and sidebar disappearing momentarily. It is actually the metadata inside the Info pane within the sidebar that disappears momentarily, not the sidebar itself.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:05:48 PM by bazography »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 02:49:55 PM »
In case it helps...
After seeing this several more times I realize I should be more specific regarding the image and sidebar disappearing momentarily. It is actually the metadata inside the Info pane within the sidebar that disappears momentarily, not the sidebar itself.

Ah.  I think that the refreshing of the Favorites/Navigator are taking too long on your networked drive and this causes a pause in the display.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 04:19:58 PM »
My network definitely needs an upgrade as I'm running the drive from a decade-old Airport Extreme. But my old MacBook Pro doesn't have this issue at all, only the brand new machine. Wouldn't they both have the same issue if it was network-related?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 05:06:28 PM »
My network definitely needs an upgrade as I'm running the drive from a decade-old Airport Extreme. But my old MacBook Pro doesn't have this issue at all, only the brand new machine. Wouldn't they both have the same issue if it was network-related?

Do both systems have exactly the same settings?  Including the Favorites/Navigator preferences (right-click on any folder in the Favorites or Navigator and choose Preferences...) The setting most likely to make a difference is "Always check sub-folders for folders on servers".

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 12:30:33 PM »
Yes, they are identical. "Always check sub-folders for folders on servers" is checked so I tried unchecking it, but no difference.
I did some testing to see if file size made a difference, as most of the images I'm dealing with are 6-7000 pixel TIFF files. Turns out there is no issue with small files.