Author Topic: Combing Lightroom 6.0 and Photo Mechanic Plus  (Read 916 times)

Offline Smorton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Combing Lightroom 6.0 and Photo Mechanic Plus
« on: April 04, 2023, 06:19:49 AM »
Greetings-

I recently purchased Photo Mechanic Plus, and I would like to combine my Adobe Lightroom 6 catalog with Photo Mechanic Plus.

I have about 52,000 photos in this Lightroom catalog.

I am hoping that I will continue to be able to use the hierarchical keywords that I have established in Lightroom.

I also have many GPS settings in my Adobe Lightroom 6 catalog which I would want to continue to use with both programs.

Is there a problem with combining my Adobe Lightroom 6 catalog with Photo Mechanic Plus?

Thank you very much for any input.

SM

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Combing Lightroom 6.0 and Photo Mechanic Plus
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »
Hello,

Photo Mechanic Plus will read the metadata added by Lightroom as long as it has been saved to the image file or in an xmp sidecar file. By default, Lightroom will not save the metadata to the file so you will want to check the Catalog Settings' Metadata Tab.  Make sure the box is checked to Automatically write changes into XMP.  This could take a few minutes to complete. Next go to Lightroom's Metadata menu and select the Save Metadata to File option. Once this process is complete, you can use Photo Mechanic's Scan to Catalog feature from the Catalog menu, to add all of the files in the folder and sub folders, to the catalog.

regards,

--Bob

Offline Smorton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 02:27:28 PM »
Thank you very much.

SM

Offline Smorton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 04:37:02 PM »
Hello,

Photo Mechanic Plus will read the metadata added by Lightroom as long as it has been saved to the image file or in an xmp sidecar file. By default, Lightroom will not save the metadata to the file so you will want to check the Catalog Settings' Metadata Tab.  Make sure the box is checked to Automatically write changes into XMP.  This could take a few minutes to complete. Next go to Lightroom's Metadata menu and select the Save Metadata to File option. Once this process is complete, you can use Photo Mechanic's Scan to Catalog feature from the Catalog menu, to add all of the files in the folder and sub folders, to the catalog.

regards,

--Bob

I did as you said with my Lightroom library.  I noticed in Photo Mechanics Plus,  that I have an occasional DOP File (.dop) as well as XMP File (.xmp) files.  Does this mean I did something wrong?

Thank you.

SM

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 04:57:26 PM »

I did as you said with my Lightroom library.  I noticed in Photo Mechanics Plus,  that I have an occasional DOP File (.dop) as well as XMP File (.xmp) files.  Does this mean I did something wrong?

Thank you.

SM

.dop files are proprietary sidecar files from DxO Photolab. Photo Mechanic can't edit these files, but if you want to make sure they go with the RAW files they belong to, Please see the "Manage file associations" section of this page: https://camerabits.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/48001145359-files-preferences

You can hide unrecognized files from the Contact Sheet by disabling "Show unknown files as proxies" from the View menu

Offline Smorton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 06:30:58 PM »
Many thanks.

SM