Author Topic: Time sorting of images from multiple cameras  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Colin Robinson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Time sorting of images from multiple cameras
« on: October 24, 2021, 01:16:27 AM »
I know how to adjust the time from images from multiple cameras, which is to the nearest second only, but this will result in images being out of time sequence by perhaps one half a second, or any fraction of a second. it would be useful to have an adjustment by, for example, plus or minus a fraction of a second. I realise this may not be possible as the exif file may only store the information to the second, and not fractions of seconds.
Is there a work around to help in the following situation.
My wife , as second shooter, and I cover a rugby match. I shoot with a long lens from behind the posts, she shoots with a 70-200 from the sidelines. We can end up with sequence of image from two angles of the same incident. However the two sets of  shots may be out of synch , so out of 300 images after culling, I may want to move 50 images, taken over the game, by a fraction of a second. I can select them all but dragging them to a new position in the "arrangement" sorting filter, drops them all at the same point. is the any way I can "nudge" those 50 images the same amount? For example, move each of those 50 images four frames to the left in the contact sheet showing both sets of images? I know I could drag and drop each individually but I could lose the will to live if there were 200 images to move.
Thanks for any information or insight that you may offer
Colin Robinson
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:37:01 AM by Colin Robinson »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Time sorting of images from multiple cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:59:15 AM »
Colin,

I know how to adjust the time from images from multiple cameras, which is to the nearest second only, but this will result in images being out of time sequence by perhaps one half a second, or any fraction of a second. it would be useful to have an adjustment by, for example, plus or minus a fraction of a second. I realise this may not be possible as the exif file may only store the information to the second, and not fractions of seconds.
Is there a work around to help in the following situation.
My wife , as second shooter, and I cover a rugby match. I shoot with a long lens from behind the posts, she shoots with a 70-200 from the sidelines. We can end up with sequence of image from two angles of the same incident. However the two sets of  shots may be out of synch , so out of 300 images after culling, I may want to move 50 images, taken over the game, by a fraction of a second. I can select them all but dragging them to a new position in the "arrangement" sorting filter, drops them all at the same point. is the any way I can "nudge" those 50 images the same amount? For example, move each of those 50 images four frames to the left in the contact sheet showing both sets of images? I know I could drag and drop each individually but I could lose the will to live if there were 200 images to move.

Yes, you can adjust the capture time by a delta (days, hours, months, seconds, etc.)  See:

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001200335-adjust-capture-dates-and-times

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 02:36:12 PM »
is the any way I can "nudge" those 50 images the same amount? For example, move each of those 50 images four frames to the left in the contact sheet showing both sets of images?

What you are asking is not possible, but this is something you might try to play around with: Create a "Custom Sort" that sorts by {timesort} and then {colorclassval} as the secondary criteria. For any burst of photos that have the same capture time to the whole second, you can fine tune the order those are in by giving them different color classes (No color class, the val is 0, red=1 yellow=2 etc. Might take some trial and error to see how this works in practice, as I certainly have never needed to try it. But theoretically, you could shift any arbitrary selection of photos by up to 8 places in the sort order with (some variant of) this method  (i.e. Start by tagging all the frames with Blue [4] and then if you need some frames to go the the front end of that particular one-second window, select them and tag only those Red [1], and ones you want to go to the end of that one-second window, select those and tag black [8] )

P.s. You can check if your camera is recording 100ths of a second by checking the contents of the {subsecond} variable. Your camera probably doesn't but if it does, then you can certainly do some creative things using Code Replacements, a spreadsheet, and the {subsecond} variable that would also enable selective shifting in the sort order.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 04:16:00 PM »
Out of curiosity, I checked the Sony a9 and it does report a subsecond, so you could make a search/sort workflow around that if using the a9, or probably other sony cameras.