Author Topic: Verification of Files during ingest  (Read 1673 times)

Offline pdizzle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Verification of Files during ingest
« on: October 28, 2021, 10:48:50 AM »
I currently use Photomechanic for ingesting my cards, the incremental ingest feature is great.  What would make it better and give me additional peace of mind would be a verification feature that is user selectable.

On ingest, perhaps PM can go through and do its normal copy procedure, and then once it is complete, PM can make a second read of the card and the destination and do a verification that the files checksums match.

Additionally, it would be great if the checksum was stored in the XMP side car so that the file could be verified down the line.  Having it in the metadata would be great in case file names change.  Maybe in the tool menu there could be a verification tool that would read the metadata and do a checksum of the file to verify that the checksum values match.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Verification of Files during ingest
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 12:22:11 PM »
I currently use Photomechanic for ingesting my cards, the incremental ingest feature is great.  What would make it better and give me additional peace of mind would be a verification feature that is user selectable.

On ingest, perhaps PM can go through and do its normal copy procedure, and then once it is complete, PM can make a second read of the card and the destination and do a verification that the files checksums match.

Some settings will/can cause the file at the destination to be changed from their original contents (applying metadata).  So this wouldn't work in that case.

Additionally, it would be great if the checksum was stored in the XMP side car so that the file could be verified down the line.  Having it in the metadata would be great in case file names change.  Maybe in the tool menu there could be a verification tool that would read the metadata and do a checksum of the file to verify that the checksum values match.

This also can change when doing something like adjusting capture dates and times.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Kirk

Offline pdizzle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »

Some settings will/can cause the file at the destination to be changed from their original contents (applying metadata).  So this wouldn't work in that case.

PM could pop up an alert that it would not work with the operation at hand, or just disable the feature.  (like when dealing with JPG files).  I mainly deal with canon raw, so everything happens in xmp sidecars for me, so it would be useful.

This also can change when doing something like adjusting capture dates and times.

I think this is another place where PM could check to see if a checksum has been generated and then warn the user that proceeding with the operation would change the files checksum and ask if the checksum should be updated at the completion of the task.

I've seen softwares out there that can generate a list of checksums on ingest, including after verifying a correct transfer, but the list is based off the original filenames which would be of limited use to me since i rename my photos after all my cards from an event are ingested.  Thats why I thought having it in XMP would be useful.  So then I could ingest multiple cards into one folder, rename, do my editing, copy the folder to the backup locations and then if needed do a verification at the destination to make sure everything made it there correctly.

Happy to expand on my workflow more if it helps.

Offline pdizzle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 09:10:05 AM »
This feature could also be integrated into the copy/move dialogue.  So if you want to make sure the files made it to their destination safely, you could add a verification pass after the copy is completed.