Author Topic: Can I stop PM+ rescanning?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Can I stop PM+ rescanning?
« on: December 02, 2021, 01:49:13 AM »
For example: I'm in Browse looking at a folder with about 500 pictures in total. It takes a good few minutes for PM+ to render the thumbnails on the contact sheet. If I leave PM+ to check my email or something, when I come back PM+ starts the rescan again. I think I've solved that by unchecking / unticking the Contact Sheet Preference 'rescan on resume'.

But.. when I leave that folder and look in another and then go back to the first folder I again have to wait for a rescan.

I can solve this by dismounting the drive where the files are located. Now my thumbnail's green circle turns yellow to say the file is off-line. PM+ now works well and fast as expected, I can move to different folders and the thumbnails appear quickly.

However, what if I want/need my files to be on-line? In fact, what's going to happen if I try to update my captions and keywords? That metadata can't be written to the files whether JPEG or XMP.

Can I have off-line performance when my originals are on-line?

Thanks!

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Re: Can I stop PM+ rescanning?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 04:02:33 AM »
And so as is always the way, this behaviour appears to have fixed itself. Maybe ye olde 'switch it off and on again' trick worked. None the less I'd like to hear if what I was seeing was expected and how I may have inadvertently sorted it.

Expect me back later to say its all gone wrong again!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can I stop PM+ rescanning?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 09:04:19 AM »
David,

Turning off "Rescan on resume" should solve the problem permanently.  If it doesn't, please let me know how to reproduce the problem and I'll fix it.

-Kirk