Author Topic: Horrendous problems with 4.5 today...  (Read 16686 times)

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Horrendous problems with 4.5 today...
« on: May 03, 2007, 08:00:29 AM »
After several years of (mostly) trouble-free useage I was not prepeared on a press day for the rubbish performance of 4.5, it never happens on a quiet day does it!! 

First PM quit when all I did was try and drop a folder of images (from a CD) onto the PM icon, then to add insult to injury the PM crash reporter also failed, locked, would not send a report and had to be force quit...

Second and even worse: PM quit for no reason whatever and has dumped years worth of stored 'cities' and caption names!!!!  Now I have to re-enter more than a hundred locations!!!! - and reset all the prefs.

Spitting with fury, give me an older version that was at least reliable!
Running Mac 0s10.8

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Horrendous problems with 4.5 today...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:37:41 AM »
After several years of (mostly) trouble-free useage I was not prepeared on a press day for the rubbish performance of 4.5, it never happens on a quiet day does it!! 

First PM quit when all I did was try and drop a folder of images (from a CD) onto the PM icon, then to add insult to injury the PM crash reporter also failed, locked, would not send a report and had to be force quit...

Second and even worse: PM quit for no reason whatever and has dumped years worth of stored 'cities' and caption names!!!!  Now I have to re-enter more than a hundred locations!!!! - and reset all the prefs.

Spitting with fury, give me an older version that was at least reliable!
Running Mac 0s10.8

http://www.camerabits.com/download/index.html

All of the older versions are there.

-Kirk

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:44:15 AM »
They are- I reloaded 4.4.4.3 from my old software folder in the hope all the stored cities etc would be there
but they are not and I dont understand why.  What is the reason for this misbehaviour, you have not oferred an explanation?

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 08:46:34 AM »
Simon,

They are- I reloaded 4.4.4.3 from my old software folder in the hope all the stored cities etc would be there
but they are not and I dont understand why.  What is the reason for this misbehaviour, you have not oferred an explanation?

The lists of cities are stored in your preferences file.  I don't know why they were lost.  If you want more hands-on support, please call 503-531-8430.  Only so much can be done via these forums.  Our support staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.

-Kirk

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:54:24 AM »
Given that I could track this folder down is there a way to re-load it into the program - I cannot see any import options? 

Thanks for the support number but I cannot afford to ring the states from England.

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »
Given that I could track this folder down is there a way to re-load it into the program - I cannot see any import options? 

Thanks for the support number but I cannot afford to ring the states from England.

If you don't have a backup of your home folder, then it is likely lost.  In the Library/Preferences folder in your home folder is a file named com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist and this is where your preferences are stored.

-Kirk

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 09:49:11 AM »
Yes I have found this but they just contain the most recent prefs.  You would need to be running a script to back up your home folder every few minutes to catch the prefs and it would not be needed if PM didnt crash and burn them in the first place.

simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:30:44 PM »
Simon,

Yes I have found this but they just contain the most recent prefs.  You would need to be running a script to back up your home folder every few minutes to catch the prefs and it would not be needed if PM didnt crash and burn them in the first place.

I am sorry your data was lost.

-Kirk

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 02:47:27 PM »
Simon-

I feel your pain...I lost (2) hard drives in January (nothing to do with PM) but I lost ALL my data.  Anyway, it caused me to implement a full back-up plan where I now do an incremental back-up EVERY night to an external Hard Drive.  I use SuperDuper

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html to accomplish this...

While a crash and burn at any time is a horrible thing, we can't blame CameraBits for our own lack of a back-up strategy.  It's our responsibility to make sure that we have multiple copies of those things that are valuable to us.  In this case, your preferences were valuable.  I know this is "after the fact", but it's the truth.

Good luck...

Delane

Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »
Delane-

Would you be willing to share your settings for the backup procedure you use with SuperDuper. I currently use it to backup my entire disk in the event of a total failure, but would be ineterested in your procedure for an incremental backup of photos.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 08:47:11 PM »
I have an 160GB hard drive in my MacBook Pro and a (160 GB) external drive as well. 

I just use the SuperDupers "Smart Update", it makes the external drive identical (and bootable) to my start-up drive....it's schedule for EVERY day at 1:50 AM...Smart Update mimics "Erase, then copy" but typically takes only a fraction of the time (it's an incremental backup)

Did this answer your question?

Delane

Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 09:20:38 PM »
You would need to be running a script to back up your home folder every few minutes to catch the prefs and it would not be needed if PM didnt crash and burn them in the first place.

Simon, I understand the issues you are having, and this is exactly why everyone says to backup your computer data EVERYDAY.
It's not a PM issue, it's an digital data issue.  Think what would happen if your lost your drive of JPG files?  Even with perfectly 100% stable software, you run the risk of hardware failures. Hard drives only last a few years.

Yes it's a time consuming pain... but full backups are the only way to keep your computer data safe.

Offline Junebug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • pictures that tell a story
I've felt the pain too
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 04:54:23 AM »
Not caused by PM but by two hard drive failures at different times.

Both times I was very lucky.

Two Mac programs saved me.

1. I used SuperDuper to back up a failing drive in a Powerbook and it worked.

2. A program called DejaVu has been my biggest life saver and insurance. It backs up different folders or work areas on different drives "Daily, Weekly and Monthly" per parameters that you easily set up.

I'm sorry about your loss too.

Jb.
Junebug Clark
Denton, TX
http://www.MooreClark.net

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »
Similar to Mr. White, I have also recently started to see PM 4.5 randomly crash immediately after dropping a folder of images on the dock icon. Luckily the crash reporter has worked every time (roughly 4x) and I suffered no loss of preferences. At this point it's simply an annoyance to have to re-launch the app.

I believe the problem started after the recent Quicktime and Security Update 2007-004 (PowerPC) 1.1 updates.

12" 1.5GHz Powerbook
1.25GB DDR
MAC OS X 10.4.9

Hope this helps.

-Daniel Miller
University Photographer
The University of Toledo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 12:25:45 PM »
Daniel,

Similar to Mr. White, I have also recently started to see PM 4.5 randomly crash immediately after dropping a folder of images on the dock icon. Luckily the crash reporter has worked every time (roughly 4x) and I suffered no loss of preferences. At this point it's simply an annoyance to have to re-launch the app.

I believe the problem started after the recent Quicktime and Security Update 2007-004 (PowerPC) 1.1 updates.

12" 1.5GHz Powerbook
1.25GB DDR
MAC OS X 10.4.9

Please try the 4.5.1 beta, it should solve your crashing issue.  Visit the Announcements section for the download link.

-Kirk