Author Topic: Preening RAW images with corresponding post-processed JPEG file  (Read 1675 times)

Offline 0x6e6562

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preening RAW images with corresponding post-processed JPEG file
« on: December 30, 2021, 06:43:52 PM »
Is it possible to filter for the RAW component of each RAW+JPEG pair in a catalog?

I'd like to delete RAW files that have already been post-processed to JPEG and are unlikely to ever get touched again. This would be a periodic filter to weed out aged RAW files. The JPEGs are retained for posterity to be returned by metadata queries against the catalog.

I'm trying to devise a workflow where PM+ exports into CaptureOne for editing, and the resultant JPEGs are exported back into the original catalog location.

From a UI perspective, PM+ appears to handle this flow quite well (i.e. it appears to detect file system events in the catalog folder and then marries them off to the corresponding RAW file). It is also possible to filter by file type which can be combined with other filter predicates (dates, rating, colors, etc).

However, I couldn't find a way to query for all RAW files for which there is a corresponding JPEG. I looked inside the DB to see how this was being stored and it seems like I could a self join on the SEARCH table matching on stemmed file names (i.e. by stripping off .NEF/.JPG). This doesn't necessarily help that much because I'd still need to issue the removal of the search results.

I also considered running an external script to achieve the same filter - I assume that after running this script, the database would require resyncing with the filesystem?

Am I missing the point?

Or do others just keep the RAW files because (1) they need to retain RAW for foreseen editing requests, or (2) it doesn't present long term storage issues after ingest culling has taken place?

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
Re: Preening RAW images with corresponding post-processed JPEG file
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 11:41:33 PM »
Hello
I propose another way of working. I insert my RAWs with PM and export them in a C1 session to the Capture folder.
Once the RAW is processed, I export the corresponding JPEG to an external folder, and place the finished RAW in the processed folder of C1
PM uses only this external folder for its catalog, so it contains only jpg.
In C1 it is easy to delete the processed RAWs since they are separated from the others.
( which I personally don't do anymore because I regret not being able to resume the processing of previously badly worked photos)
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline 0x6e6562

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »
Many thanks for suggesting an alternative way of working!

If I understand your steps correctly:

1. Ingest raws with into a PM contact sheet
2. Rate/color/filter/delete images in PM
3. Export the filtered output from (2) into C1
4. Process RAW in C1 and export to JPEG to an external folder
5. Scan the external folder into the PM catalog (this will only contain processed JPEGs)
6. (Optionally) Delete the RAW files from the processed folder in C1

Does this sound right?

If so, do the XMP sidecars get exported by C1 into the external folder so that PM can read this (i.e. in step 5 PM reads the XMP files that it originally wrote in step 2)?

If I understand you correctly, the act of adding images to the PM catalog happens after processing in C1?

This does feel more intuitive than the workflow I was originally considering.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 10:54:35 PM »
Yes, you have understood perfectly.
I admit I never use XMP, which I hate. PM writes all the characteristics in the RAW which Capture One does not do.
If you make a modification with PM a little late, you just have to ask Captur One to reload the metadata.
Soizic (France)

Offline 0x6e6562

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »
Ah, I see, so you

1. Get PM to add the metadata to the RAW (not as an XMP sidecar)
2. C1 processes the RAW, and exports the result as JPEG with the metadata embedded inside to an external folder
3. PM scans the JPEGs from the external folder, which means it will effectively be reading the metadata from step (1)
4. (Optionally) update the metadata in PM. If this requires no image processing, this can be performed against the export JPEG. If it is connected to a re-render from RAW, then you update the metadata of the RAW and get C1 to re-read the folder from (1), process/export with the updated metadata as in (2)

Does that sound right?

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 10:36:54 PM »
Yes
Soizic (France)