Author Topic: Removing JPG from RAW+JPG pairs after ingest  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
Removing JPG from RAW+JPG pairs after ingest
« on: February 17, 2022, 03:41:34 AM »
I did a little searching but didn't find many replies, except this feature request:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14346.msg70911

If you shoot RAW+JPG on the camera (Sony) and thus end up with RAW+JPG pairs, is there any simple way to remove all those jpegs that are part of a pair (but not jpegs that are not in a pair)?
For example, you shoot RAW+JPG but maybe at some point switch to only shooting JPEG on the same card. You ingest everything and now only need the RAW version of RAW+JPG pairs, but if there are solo jpegs without an accompanying RAW you would want to keep them.
Alternatively, if you exclusively shoot RAW+JPG, how best to remove the paired jpegs after ingest? I'm aware you can sort by type and then manually select the jpegs to delete, but that isn't super user-friendly.
Thanks

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Re: Removing JPG from RAW+JPG pairs after ingest
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 06:00:02 AM »
How about only ingesting the raws?  That's what I do, but I never shoot jpeg only.

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 06:08:10 AM »
How about only ingesting the raws?  That's what I do, but I never shoot jpeg only.

Yes that would certainly work and is maybe what I'll do if I'm sure that I only shot RAW+JPG or RAW-only on that card. But if you did shoot some images as jpeg-only then you'd be losing them forever that way, and so ingesting everything to be sure and deleting jpegs after would be marginally safer.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 09:10:01 AM »
One way to do this would be to use Photo Mechanic's "Copy/Move" utility. The first option in the Copy/Move dialogue decides what Photo Mechanic does when it encounters a RAW+JPEG pair. If its a JPEG on its own, it will copy/move it, if its a RAW on its own, it will copy/move that, but if its a RAW+JPEG pair, it will copy/move one or both based on your decision in that dropdown. If you copy everything into a subfolder, the new subfolder will contain all the files you want, and if you were moving files, rather than just copying, the original location will leave behind any of those JPEGs that were part of the pair.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:27:24 AM by ahoward »